Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very old scout

very old scout

local place has 8 or so bottles of very old scout, 19yr. For a 19 yr it was priced competitive or maybe a little lower. anyone tried it yet?

Connoisseur

Re: very old scout

I picked up a bottle in early Sept, but I haven't opened it yet. The Party Source had a few bottles of it and I thought it was worth trying for the price. It's also something that isn't distributed here in GA, so I figured it would be nice to get something I can't get locally. I haven't seen much on it outside of David Driscoll's blog. The folks out at K&L seemed to really like it.

Scroll down, there are a few different posts on the blog regarding very old scout.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...th/august-2012

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's LDI bourbon, as tannic and tart as you'd expect from something that old, but otherwise a bit thin. The bottle I have is 14-years-old. I haven't heard about a 19-year-old.

I reviewed it and several other releases of LDI whiskey in the most recent Bourbon Country Reader. About the 14-year-old I wrote, "dry, with char dominant, and is interesting mostly for what it's missing. You have to keep reminding yourself that, as ingredients, these whiskeys are supposed to be unbalanced." Of course, this bourbon was probably not intended to be aged for 14 years either.

Advanced Taster

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, I've seen the 11, 14, and 19 year blends of VOS. I haven't tried any of them, but priced at around $60, $70, $80, I think they are pretty fair especially at the higher end.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

They are not blends. They are straight bourbon. I assume they're all LDI.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    They are not blends. They are straight bourbon. I assume they're all LDI.
    The KLwines article states the 14 yr is a blend of 4 different age LDI bourbons

Enthusiast

The 19yo is a blend 19 and 21 yo whiskey, and to my taste it is fantastic; a classic. I have grabbed every bottle I could find, which here wasn't very many. Grab one to try, and i don't think you'll regret it. The flipside of course is that if you love it, savor it, because what's out there is all that there is.

Disciple
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    The KLwines article states the 14 yr is a blend of 4 different age LDI bourbons
    This is still a straight bourbon. With the exception of single barrels and bonds, most bottles of bourbon contain whiskies of different ages.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Semantics...

I meant "blends" in the way that some might say "expressions," but since this wasn't distillate that SA made, aged for different periods of time, I didn't know how ingenuous it would be to call them expressions. I used the term "blend" rather generically like one might use the term "cuvee" which usually means blend.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by rutterb View Post
    local place has 8 or so bottles of very old scout, 19yr. For a 19 yr it was priced competitive or maybe a little lower. anyone tried it yet?

PM me if there is any of these left. Thanks
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."
    -Frank Sinatra