Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: very old scout

  1. #11
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,025

    Re: very old scout

    Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    Semantics...

    I meant "blends" in the way that some might say "expressions," but since this wasn't distillate that SA made, aged for different periods of time, I didn't know how ingenuous it would be to call them expressions. I used the term "blend" rather generically like one might use the term "cuvee" which usually means blend.
    I know exactly what you mean, and it probably is no big deal, but "blend" is maybe not the best way to state it. Nasty connotations to it. "Marrying", or "Mingling", might be better.

    I will now go away and try to pull the string out of my arse...
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  2. #12
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    283

    Re: very old scout

    The barrels are sourced from LDI, but I reckon they are not necesarily distilled at LDI ?

    When I visited Smooth Ambler I had a walk in the warehouse, when I came back home to Denmark I saw a cask end with DSP KY 8, when going through my photos. This is Four Roses and both companies were at one time owned by Seagrams.

    I should have payed more attention to the casks when I was there, instead of when examing my holiday photos. It was an extremely hot day and it was after the June storm so the whole area was out of power. I tried some 14, 19 and 21 yo samples, especially the 19yo was very woody and dry, the 14yo was less and more fruity and you can balance it out by mixing them together :-)

    So if you like old woody dry whiskies, almost to the extent of the whiskey richocheting back of your tongue, this is surely something for you

    I got a bottle of the yearling as well, and this is probably the best whisky under 3 years I have ever tasted. Still young and youthful, but quite drinkable and moreish as well, and the wheater character really emerges very well - I am not the fan of young whiskies but this bottle has grown legs in my house and started walking :-)

    seagram.jpg

    Steffen

    PS a few years ago the term "vatting" was used in Scotland for mixing casks after your own wishing, but they want everybody to use the term "blending" today (When is come to scotch whisky). Not sure how happy some (a lot) is about this term, and I understand why it is also opposed used in coinnection with bourbons as it can associate to a catragory named "blends" which is another thing. I don't know what your prefered term is, mingling and mixing are good ones, my prefered term is vatting, but that is because I started out as a scotch drinker
    Last edited by macdeffe; 11-13-2012 at 09:18.

  3. #13

    Re: very old scout

    Thanks for the info. I purchased a bottle of the 19yr today. Looking forward to how it taste.

  4. #14
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,603

    Re: very old scout

    Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    Semantics...

    I meant "blends" in the way that some might say "expressions," but since this wasn't distillate that SA made, aged for different periods of time, I didn't know how ingenuous it would be to call them expressions. I used the term "blend" rather generically like one might use the term "cuvee" which usually means blend.
    Well, don't, because in whiskey, 'blend' is a term of art with a very specific meaning that goes beyond the dictionary meaning. A 'blend' is a combination of two or more whiskeys of different types, or (in American usage) of whiskey and neutral spirit. If you use the word 'blend' to a straight whiskey maker, he is likely to take offense. Especially in American whiskey, blends are considered drek and to use the term in reference to a straight is an insult. Words have consequences. Learn something. If you're talking about a combination or mixture of straight whiskeys of the same type, then use 'combination' or 'mixture' or 'mingling' or something else, but don't use 'blend.' You just confuse your reader and make yourself look ignorant.

  5. #15
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: very old scout

    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    This is still a straight bourbon. With the exception of single barrels and bonds, most bottles of bourbon contain whiskies of different ages.
    Bonds can also contain component whiskies of different ages. The requirement is for the same distilling season, not the same age.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  6. #16
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    A pretty great state.
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Bonds can also contain component whiskies of different ages. The requirement is for the same distilling season, not the same age.
    Makes sense now that I think it through, thanks for the clarification.
    Jim

  7. #17
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,736

    Re: very old scout

    Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Makes sense now that I think it through, thanks for the clarification.
    And thank you for not making me type out an explanation.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  8. #18
    Taster
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    82

    Re: very old scout

    About 2-3 months ago I bought a similarly aged LDI bourbon (James Pepper 15 year old) and it is wretched. Super thin, medicinal, lots of burning.

    Last month I was in NY and a liquor store had Smooth Ambler, all different years including the 14/15 and the 19. I was intrigued but passed based on my experience with James Pepper.

  9. #19
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,603

    Re: very old scout

    Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Bonds can also contain component whiskies of different ages. The requirement is for the same distilling season, not the same age.
    Just to be clear, with a bond the difference in age is minimal, i.e., less than 6 months.

  10. #20
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    145

    Re: very old scout

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Well, don't, because in whiskey, 'blend' is a term of art with a very specific meaning that goes beyond the dictionary meaning. A 'blend' is a combination of two or more whiskeys of different types, or (in American usage) of whiskey and neutral spirit. If you use the word 'blend' to a straight whiskey maker, he is likely to take offense. Especially in American whiskey, blends are considered drek and to use the term in reference to a straight is an insult. Words have consequences. Learn something. If you're talking about a combination or mixture of straight whiskeys of the same type, then use 'combination' or 'mixture' or 'mingling' or something else, but don't use 'blend.' You just confuse your reader and make yourself look ignorant.
    No need to be a jerk about it. I know perfectly well what the legal definition of a "blend" is. You don't have to write a book about Bourbon to be knowledgable in the subject. I simply "misspoke" and let the wrong term slip, as one is wont to do if they have a background in another field. I apologize and will strive to never offend you and distillers ever again
    Last edited by soonami; 11-13-2012 at 13:04.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. New Smooth Ambler "Curated" Bourbon - Very Old Scout
    By bllygthrd in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 20:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top