Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Goldrun California Rye

Anyone else try this? I picked up a bottle, and still unsure what to make of it. very different.

Advanced Taster

Re: Goldrun California Rye

I haven't tried it (or even seen it for sale) but what little information I could find online suggests that it's made from 100% rye, and aged in small barrels for about a year. I'm not one to turn my back on the chance to try a new whiskey, but nothing I've learned about Gold Run encourages me to spend nearly $40 on a 375 ml bottle.

I think Old Potrero Straight Rye is also made from 100% (malted) rye. Not that the two whiskies are equivalent but I don't care for the Old Potrero. Mop -- have you tried the Old Potrero, and can you make any comparison between it and the Gold Run? Either way, I'd be interested in hearing your tasting notes on the Gold Run.
    Last edited by MrAtomic; 11-14-2012 at 17:39.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I haven't tried it (or even seen it for sale) but what little information I could find online suggests that it's made from 100% rye, and aged in small barrels for about a year. I'm not one to turn my back on the chance to try a new whiskey, but nothing I've learned about Gold Run encourages me to spend nearly $40 on a 375 ml bottle.

I think Old Potrero Straight Rye is also made from 100% (malted) rye. Not that the two whiskies are equivalent but I don't care for the Old Potrero. Mop -- have you tried the Old Potrero, and can you make any comparison between it and the Gold Run? Either way, I'd be interested in hearing your tasting notes on the Gold Run.
    nice pointer, i have not tried the old potrero so it would be interesting to see how that compares. the sweetness maybe the issue.

the goldrun is relatively expensive, but then again, not mass produced by any stretch.

will give some more thought to the goldrun, tonight.

thanks
    George

Guru

Old World Spirits has produced some spirits that have been reasonably well regarded such as their Kuchan Peach Brandy and Rusty Blade Barrel Aged Gin (I have had both but only had the regular proof barrel aged gin rather than the barrel proof stuff) so they seem to know a bit about distilling. But it is a small operation and the products do tend to be spendy!

The one review on K&L (by a K&L staffer mind you) does draw a comparison to Old Potrero.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 11-15-2012 at 06:28.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

If it tastes like Old Potrero, I won't even look at it.
    In a blind tasting of 3 rye whiskies, all 6 tasters
    thought Old Potrero was terrible

Apprentice

it is spendy indeed, and maybe that is part of my pause. had a couple more drams the other nite, and it is very smooth and quiet upfront, with heat, aromatics and flavor in the back, long nice finish. the sweetness is definitely there and so is the rye, but super smooth. i keep drinking it...

I had it at a swanky hotel in Santa Monica and was thoroughly unimpressed. Too young, too thin, too spendy.

Enthusiast

It tastes like sucking on a popsicle stick. My friend who gave me the bottle didn't like it either. At worst he paid wholesale, but I hope it was a sample from his distributor.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
    It tastes like sucking on a popsicle stick. My friend who gave me the bottle didn't like it either. At worst he paid wholesale, but I hope it was a sample from his distributor.
    Just saying "sucking on a popsicle stick" provokes the chalk on blackboard response...for some reason they produce similar skin crawl effects.
    Will stay away from this one.

Guru

I will nay pay good money for underage spirits.