Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Novice

What do you recommend.

I have been drinking a good bit of Woodford Reserve and Four Roses small batch, What else out there would i like under $35

Advanced Taster

Re: What do you recommend.

I started out trying bottles from different distillers to see which ones I liked best. I would suggest trying BT, EC12, and KC to compare with what you are currently drinking.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
    I started out trying bottles from different distillers to see which ones I liked best. I would suggest trying BT, EC12, and KC to compare with what you are currently drinking.
    Good suggestions. Might also add Weller Special Reserve and/or Old Weller Antique to that list to get a taste of wheaters.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jpage View Post
    I have been drinking a good bit of Woodford Reserve and Four Roses small batch, What else out there would i like under $35
    The answer to what you like may be hard so I will answer what I like in that range:

Wheated bourbons:
    Larceny
    Weller antique
    Weller 12 year old

Rye bourbons:
    -Four roses single barrel - fluctuates in taste but I have never been disappointed
    - Old Grand Dad 114 and OGD BIB
    - buffalo trace

Rye whiskeys:
    Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond
    High west double rye

There are many many more in that range but this is just a quick list.

Disciple
    Since you like WR, I'd say give Old Forester Signature a shot.
    Jim

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jpage View Post
    My goodness! For under $35 you can buy lots of excellent bourbon, depending on what is available where you live. Among my favorites are Ancient Ancient Age 10 YO (NOT 10 star!), Elmer T. Lee, Old Weller Antique, W. L. Weller 12 YO, Elijah Craig 12 YO, Very Old Barton BIB, Old Grand Dad BIB and 114, Wild Turkey 101, Russel's Reserve, and Rare Breed, Evan Williams 1783 and Single Barrel, George Dickel #12, Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel, Larceny, Buffalo Trace, and Knob Creek.
    I envy you because there is a lot of marvelous stuff you will get to try for the very first time. Two little bits of advice: Don't judge a bourbon until you have sampled at least a half bottle neat, with water, and on the rocks; keep some tasting notes so you can better recall what you liked and why.
    Welcome to SB. You'll find that the members here have a wealth of information and insights that can help you increase your level of appreciation for the world's finest spirits.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Two little bits of advice: Don't judge a bourbon until you have sampled at least a half bottle neat, with water, and on the rocks; keep some tasting notes so you can better recall what you liked and why.
    I would also add that some bottles change a little after you open them and some air gets to it (I'm not totally sure why, but this seems to be a big reason). If you don't like one, set it on the shelf, come back to it in a month or two. If its still undrinkable, pick up a liter of cola, or sell it to a friend.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    I would also add that some bottles change a little after you open them and some air gets to it (I'm not totally sure why, but this seems to be a big reason). If you don't like one, set it on the shelf, come back to it in a month or two. If its still undrinkable, pick up a liter of cola, or sell it to a friend.
    Only in Chicago would they sell an "undrinkable" bottle to a "friend"
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden