Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Way to go Wade.

Disciple

Re: Way to go Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Yes, I'd agree with Petrel800's assessment of WE. They are all over the map and I'm never sure where they are coming from. While any reviewer's comments have to be taken in stride, once you calibrate your own palate with reviewers from Wine Spectator, Robert Parker, Tanzer, etc., you have a pretty consistent barometer on where your taste will come out relative to theirs. With Wine Enthusiast, it is all over the map, and whether wine or whiskey, I don't pay much attention to their reviews/articles.
    It's as all over the map due to the various reviewers, who actually seem to have more palate diversity than WS reviewers. Paul Gregutt, for instance, does the wines of the Pacific Northwest. He's probably the leading critic of that area, and as such, his reviews are mostly spot on. Steve Heimoff does California, and if you've ever read his blog, well, I'll be polite and just leave it at that. Kara is even worse, especially when she reviews Chocolate Vodka as a legitimate category. She's definitely one of their weakest voices.

Cheers to those who are calling her out.

Virtuoso

Thanks to all for taking the time to do this. Even if WE does not have any of the major credibility or reputation, many non-informed people will take it and consider what they say. Secondly, with the internet, people usually get some top hits and read that article never consider who is writing it.

--Hugh

Disciple

I couldn't resist piling on over on that site.

Guru

And now word that our illustrious distiller of the year is set to release a 20 yo 1B for FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandfo...l-bourbon.html

Guru

Only one per customer I suppose?

Connoisseur

Perfectly timed for this booming economy we've got right now....
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Just the sort of investment for the kid's college fund.

Virtuoso

It would be so much easier and fun if what was in the $450 bottle was crap but the pisser is that's it's good Bourbon. Or at least the sample bottle we burned through in an evening was. Since they clearly are misleading about so much of their production I have to wonder if the sample was actually representative of what will be for sale. If it is I'm just upset that I can't afford more of it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Sailor22 has hit the crux of the matter. Someone who will lie to you about something will lie to you about anything and everything. If someone has lied to you about X but you believe them on Y, whose fault is that? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

That's why I try to limit the amount of energy I waste on outfits like Chatham/Michter's, and why I don't buy their products.

Enthusiast

Saw the 20yr on a local shelf for $435, over 3% off suggested retail!. first pm gets details. I'll be holding my breath.