Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Wade.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Way to go Wade.

The problem with trying to catalog all of the misrepresentation in Chatham's Michters storyline is that there are too many to count.

Pratt is a master distiller who has never worked as a distiller, and still isn't.

What happens with contract distilling is that a customer provides specifications, meets with the production team at the distillery, and may, if they wish, have a representive there during production to taste and test the output at each stage. I seriously doubt that Michter's has ever done even that much.

More likely is that they have simply purchased whatever was on offer.

Of course, it really doesn't matter what they say they do, because we know they don't tell the truth.

When you read the comments at WE (which is powered by Facebook) be sure to 'like' the good ones.
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-17-2012 at 15:06.

Connoisseur

In my opinion, Wine Enthusiast Mag is to wine what The Bourbon Review is to bourbon. When you compare their ratings to the likes of Robert Parker, Wine Spectator, and Steven Tanzer, it is almost laughable. My local specialty shop doesn't even use ratings even if they have a wine in stock they have rated. I don't think anyone here is going to compare the industry crap in The Bourbon Review to the quality of Hansell's Whiskey Advocate.

This story does little to change my personal perception of their magazine and opinions.

I wondered about that. Thanks for the insight.

Connoisseur

Chuck, here is a smell test for you, which one of these web sites seem like a place for gathering solid news and information, and which do you think is trying to sell you crap . . .

http://www.winemag.com/
    http://www.wineenthusiast.com/

http://www.winespectator.com/

https://www.erobertparker.com

Spectator and Parker's sites are dedicated to their ratings and information. Yes they are subscription services, but those services are the main focus points of their web sites. With Wine Enthusiast, the top of their page is dedicated to selling wine accessories and mail order wine. Hell to get to their website you have to go to winemag.com, not wineenthusiast.com.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan. Let's just say in my opinion, they give out a lot of 90s, which seems to be the marketing number to put on the tag to move wine. If GIA is the standard in the diamond business, in my opinion, WE gets to be the EGL certification.

So what you're saying is, WE shilling for a fake distillery should surprise no one.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    So what you're saying is, WE shilling for a fake distillery should surprise no one.
    Yes, I'd agree with Petrel800's assessment of WE. They are all over the map and I'm never sure where they are coming from. While any reviewer's comments have to be taken in stride, once you calibrate your own palate with reviewers from Wine Spectator, Robert Parker, Tanzer, etc., you have a pretty consistent barometer on where your taste will come out relative to theirs. With Wine Enthusiast, it is all over the map, and whether wine or whiskey, I don't pay much attention to their reviews/articles.
    Mark

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    In my opinion, Wine Enthusiast Mag is to wine what The Bourbon Review is to bourbon.
    Spot on! I'm ultimately not surprised that WE would give a fake distillery such an "honor."

As much as I hate to give Michter's or Wine Enthusiast any publicity, I couldn't resist blogging about this.

Guru

Glad to see SB nation and others correcting the runaway stupidity. She probably ought to give Jack Daniels "Bourbon of the Year" because they sell more than the others :-P
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

As I was reading the WE article, I started to formulate a response in my mind. When I got to the comments I was so delighted to see everyone who got there ahead of me. Kudos to all. Kara Newman and WE will learn not to mess with SB nation.