Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Who's tried Dad's Hat? What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    I took a couple bottles of the white dog to Bardstown for John Lipman. Tasted it down there. Not my cup of tea.
    Joe
    Not entirely unexpected. You're not RyeJoe here on the forum after all.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Apprentice

found a bottle here for $60, not too bad at all, a nice bite and with a fiery tail. I like the opening rye, but you can tell it is young. 90 proof. would have been a good trade at $40, but at $60 need to think about it.

Connoisseur

Who's tried Dad's Hat? What did you think?

I think I will pass on this one!

Mike

Guru

Now that this has been out for a while, is there any more feedback on this Rye? Are they trying to recreate any of the ryes made @ Pennco/Michter's, Publicker, etc., or are they making something entirely different?

The mashbill they use is 80% rye, 15% barley malt and 5% rye malt - does anybody know if this matches any of the mashbills for the dusty PA sourced Old Overholts (or other old PA Ryes for that matter like Rittenhouse, Pikesville, WTR101, etc.,?)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Overholdt was about 60% rye as I recall but I won't pretend I remember the flavor well enough to draw comparisons today.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

I met the Master Distiller and was blown away by his knowledge and his plan for his whiskies. I think people don't know about Dad's hat is that they stay true to the Pennsylvania rye tradition by using a mashbill of Rye, malted barley and malted rye. I may not purchase the standard rye, but the spirit is great and it is amazing how much those small barrels did in 9 months. What he did with the vermouth finish was anything but spectacular. Fantastic stuff. Dat's hat has some full 53 gallon barrels sitting there. If that gets released as a straight rye in 4 years I think it is going to shake up the rye market as unparalleled. Can't wait!

I don't really like rye though...I only drink Rittenhouse on occasion. So take that at whatever value you wish to deem it.

Guru

I appreciate your thoughts even though it's not your subject. Small barrels and vermouth finish are hardly traditional Pennsylvania Rye though, did the gentleman share the historical source(s) for his mash bill?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Overholdt was about 60% rye as I recall but I won't pretend I remember the flavor well enough to draw comparisons today.
    Thanks Squire!

I don't see this in the whiskey tree... Do you know what the other component %-ages are?

I found this in the whiskey tree thread for the Ritt & Pikesville ryes:

(37/51/12, aprox.)**

So it sounds like Dad's Hat is not replicating any of the historical big house PA ryes?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Thanks Squire!

I don't see this in the whiskey tree... Do you know what the other component %-ages are?

I found this in the whiskey tree thread for the Ritt & Pikesville ryes:

(37/51/12, aprox.)**

So it sounds like Dad's Hat is not replicating any of the historical big house PA ryes?
    What is in the whiskey tree reflects current day bottlings by HH. I would guess neither mashbill is similar to what they once were in their glory days 30-40 years ago.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

60% rye, 30% corn and 10% malted barley I believe (very close to what George Washington used) but I wouldn't say there was any specific formula all the Pennsylvanian distillers used.

Distilling with unmalted grain is an Irish tradition but the historical reason was taxes. Beer/ale was made with malted barley and the Authorities decided to tap into that by levying a tax on malt. The distillers promptly used the minimum malt necessary for starch conversion with the bulk of the mash being unmalted. This did create a style but the intention was to avoid taxes rather than make a better flavored whisky.

The 200 year distilling history repeatedly mentioned on the Dad's Hat website (and by implication suggesting they are a part of it) doesn't go into any details of why they can claim their use of barley and rye malt is emblematic of that tradition.

My own thoughts are Colonial Era distillers brought techniques over from the Old World and used the grains at hand, wheat for bread, corn and oats for livestock, barley for beer and rye for whisky. Customers liked the whisky, bought more of it and the reputation spread.

There is a letter from a Boston distiller written during the Reveloutionary War complaining the the British seizure of Boston had cut off the supply of rye grain for making his whisky. His real complaint though was if he couldn't make whisky to sell he couldn't pay his taxes.

Remember it was a change in the tax laws that allowed the Scottish Distillers to go legit in 1824. Whisky and taxes are a joined theme throughout distilling history. To paraphrase Burns, 'Whisky and Taxes gang thegither'.
    Last edited by squire; 12-05-2013 at 12:12.