Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Who's tried Dad's Hat? What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I appreciate your thoughts even though it's not your subject. Small barrels and vermouth finish are hardly traditional Pennsylvania Rye though, did the gentleman share the historical source(s) for his mash bill?
    I think he was talking in terms of how it was distilled. I think the small barrels and vermouth finish is more about making something decent until the real stuff comes out. As for the mash-bill, I took him at his word, but their website is very forthright about the mashbill being modeled after traditional PA rye whiskey.

I plan on visiting the distillery one day so I might as well ask him, but I am sure if you sent an email they would respond kindly.
    Last edited by zillah; 12-05-2013 at 12:41.

Virtuoso

Sorry to revive an old thread, but.. I was gifted a bottle of this last night in Philadelphia. Just got back home and I'm trying this right now.

So far, everything about the nose, mouthfeel, taste and finish screams "White Dog."

This stuff is odd to me and, though I may end up enjoying it, I wouldn't recommend it as a rye, per se.

Regardless, it is encouraging to see some new whiskey from my Pennsylvania homeboys.

Cheers!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but.. I was gifted a bottle of this last night in Philadelphia. Just got back home and I'm trying this right now.

So far, everything about the nose, mouthfeel, taste and finish screams "White Dog."

This stuff is odd to me and, though I may end up enjoying it, I wouldn't recommend it as a rye, per se.

Regardless, it is encouraging to see some new whiskey from my Pennsylvania homeboys.

Cheers!
    At 6-9 months of age or so in quarter casks kept in a temperature controlled environment it is probably more of an ecru dog!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Cheers!
    Funny. I like rye and always wondered what a "traditional" PA(Philly OR West) rye would taste like, being
    PA born and raised. Looks like we are not there yet.......

Taster

I like what Dads Hat is doing in trying to resurrect PA style rye, and I think their flagship aged rye is better than most new craft ryes. I'm looking for great things from them, but don't go into it expecting the second coming of Rittenhouse, just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

Some good points, of course we don't have to resurrect traditional rye (the recipes have been around since George Washington wrote down his favorite formula), we just have to do a good job of making it.
    Last edited by squire; 03-14-2014 at 16:01.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Cheers!
    Had some at a company party with open bar, basically the same impression. I might put it a little further down the aging path than White Dog, but its its not far down that path at all.

I tried to work through it and find something redeeming about it, but I just couldn't do it. Hopefully it gets a lot better with another few years of age on it.

Guru

I (along with a lot of others I suppose) want these outfits to succeed and produce products that are a genuine alternative to the standard brands. Not to the extent of paying for their experiments though.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Recently had the opportunity to taste some pre-pro Old Overholt. If that is similar to the flavor profile that traditional Pennsylvania Rye was then Mr. Hat shouldn't spend his creative energies trying to duplicate it.

Connoisseur

Nasty, he said, eh?