Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Flask Etiquette?

Hey all ---

So I was thinking of putting a flask on the ol' Christmas list... then I got to thinking; how comfortable am I going to be slinging that bad-boy around in public?

I can only think of two situations I find myself in that I'd be able to "get away" with using such a device:

1) Sporting events

2) At the movies

And I'll add a third

3) Halloween trick 'r treating (lots of people in the neighborhood set up tables with various liquors for small block parties, give out jello-shost to the parents, etc... so I don't think I'd look too out of place)

I don't really go camping or fishing... anybody have any ideas on socially acceptable times to use a flask?

Enthusiast

Re: Flask Etiquette?

Only seem to be used when sneaking booze into somewhere. I've never used one.

Connoisseur

I've used one on an overnight train trip, but mostly it sits around collecting dust. I find it easier to grab a coffee cup or other non-see-through cup and pour it in there. Possibly use the flask to carry it to the cup?
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

I have never seen one that was small enough to sneak something in anywhere that would hold much. Just enough to piss me off.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I have never seen one that was small enough to sneak something in anywhere that would hold much. Just enough to piss me off.
    Clearly you have never used a (brand new sterile) catheter bag for its true intended purpose! Can get a couple of quarts in there discreetly with a handy valve and pouring tube for no muss, no fuss dispensing...

One of the perks of working in the medical field! Once you get past the notion of what it is usually intended for...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I bought my groomsmen flasks as wedding party gifts, and felt we should match so got one myself as well. It is two 3 oz flasks that fit in one holder, and I use mine several times a year. If I'm going on an overnight trip and I want to share a taste of something with someone out of town, the 3 oz is perfect because I can take it as carry-on. The airlines say "No liquor" so that you'll buy theirs, but the TSA doesn't give a crap (at least never have bothered me with it, and I've done that a dozen or more times). I also take mine to poker parties and the like where most of my friends drink beer. Sure, I could take a bottle, but the flask helps with portion control (I'm confident I can drive home with 3 oz of anything over a period of several hours - and for an all-day affair I may take both barrels!)

In my younger days, I would sneak a flask in my coat in the pool hall because their bar prices were OUTRAGEOUS (and no one could see me tip a bit into my Coke).

I think you're looking at it the right way though - figure out when you'd use it first. I've gotten plenty of toys that I thought would be great ideas - and then used them once for the novelty and never again :-)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

The only place I use one is on the golf course. I usually just bring it for outings when playing in scrambles.

Connoisseur

They come in handy during events in New Orleans: Mardi Gras, Halloween, Saints games, Jazz Fest, French Quarter Fest, Po Boy Fest, Voodoo Fest, Greek Fest, Mid Summer Mardi Gras...what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, well it's legal (and encouraged!) to drink on the street here, and I love to nip on something special if I'm out and about where good whiskey is nowhere in sight. I have about six different ones from 3 - 6 oz in styles ranging from manly to downright girly, and I distribute them to visitors and house guests as needed. Some of them want to fill them with "lesser" spirits, but who am I to judge?

Virtuoso

How do you get a flask into an NFL venue? It's been my experience that they search very thoroughly.

Connoisseur

Flask Etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    How do you get a flask into an NFL venue? It's been my experience that they search very thoroughly.
    Bengals games only wand you. Plastic flask gets by the check easily.