Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: \"Single Barrel\" vs. \"Single Cask\"

It even rings bad to the ear. Never have heard the phrase "a cask full of laughs", either!

Guru

Or even worse, "Cask_ABV".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I think that bottle from Binny's is still a 'regular' bottle of BT for all intensive purposes though, just 'specially picked' by Joe C. Maybe that is why the tastes were similiar between both of your bottles.

I am wondering now how the Single Barrel version compares... On the bottle there is a clear sticker with gold writing that simply says: Selected by Fred Rosen for Sam's wines and Spirits. Here's what they say on Sam's website about their 'Single Barrel' bottling:

Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Julian and/or Sam's already coined the term cask strength to describe their ORVW barrel proof bottling.

I also just checked my bottle and it says "Cask Strength" on the label. Here is Paradox's excellent photo of the label.

Disciple

or even Cask_ABV?????

TomC

Advanced Taster

Scotch producers and bottlers have been using the term "cask strength" for years, at least as long as bourbon producers and bottlers have been using the term "barrel proof."

I enjoy bourbon AND scotch (and Irish, too). To me, it doesn't matter whether they use the word "barrel" or "cask." As long as what I pour out of the bottle pleases my senses, they can call the container it was aged in whatever they want. If a certain word attracts more consumers, that's great. The more people who buy quality bottlings, the more quality bottlings we're likely to see. And, I, for one, am all for that

SpeedyJohn

Enthusiast

I hate to bring this up, but Scotch is way ahead of us in undiluted bottlings! How many barrel proof bourbons are out there? How many were available three years ago? There were hundreds of undiluted single malts available. Heck, there are many more "barrel stength" BOURBONS available in Europe right now than there are HERE!

Virtuoso

I am guessing that this speaks to American tastes in general. Our country seems to love the weak stuff - low proof whiskey, weak coffee, and weak beer. Before you start telling me about the recent growth in high proof bourbon, Starbucks, and microbrews, let me counter that those products attract a minority. All you have to do is go into any store to see that the most shelf space goes to Early Times, Maxwell House, and lite beer.

(And don't even get me started on Starbucks. Most folks get the heavily sugared/creamed fancy drinks. Sorry folks, that's not coffee, that's dessert. Real coffee is French or Expressor Roast or Caffe Verona, black with a drop of cream, venti. In fact, Starbucks a few years ago had to stoop down to American tastes and start offering the milder LightNote blends.)

Connoisseur

Those are really good points. What is it about this country that prefers diluted down tastes, whether it's beer, or bourbon, or coffee? I went into a microbrewery in St. Louis last year and had one of their beers...it was really dark and delicious...a top quality microbrew! While I was at the bar several people came in and ordered Bud Lights. I asked the bartender whay they were ordering Bud Lights and not one of their house microbrews, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that Bud Light was their top seller. I just don't get it. And don't get me started on those disgustingly sweet coffee drinks at Starbucks...

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

And don't get me started on those disgustingly sweet coffee drinks at Starbucks...
    I'm reminded of a story from Starbucks' home territory. At the Bellevue Square Mall, the most ordered coffee drink is reportedly a "Double Decaf Latte, with Skim Milk, and Equal."

Kinda defeats the purpose of using decent ground beans in the first place, doncha think?