Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Using Brita To Filter Vodka

I just completed a most interesting experiment. Some years ago I bought a craft vodka, one of the early efforts. Despite the name vodka on the label, it had odors I'd call congeneric with an almost solvent-like taste. I really couldn't use it in this form. I decided to put it through the Brita I use to filter water for coffee. The first effort reduced the objectionable taste and smell by about 70%. The second run took out about 20% more. Interestingly, the texture on the first run was better, smoother and more aromatic/tasty. The second run made it a little angular in texture and a little unbalanced, but that's okay, it is otherwise very close now to neutral vodka which is what I wanted.

Activated charcoal treatment clearly works to remove or reduce significantly off-smells and tastes in white spirit. The reason I say white is, any brown spirit put through this will clearly lose a lot of color and barrel taste, so I wouldn't try it with that. But the Brita is brilliant with a congeneric white spirit. I'd advise it for any white whiskey you have around too that you can't drink on its own, or even brown spirits possibly where you want a more neutral taste and aren't fussy about the color and oaky taste.

True, I could have bought a commercial vodka for half of what I paid but this way I salvaged a bottle I otherwise would not have used.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 11-21-2012 at 18:48.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Using Brita To Filter Vodka

BTOY 2011 - Vodka is Vodka; once you m ix it with a little juice or whatever, your filtration is unnecessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO077nu2m5E

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I was referring to neat drinking, where the difference is rather noticeable, IMO. I'll bring some minis with "pre" and "post" for your opinion, Wade, the next time we can get together.

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    BTOY 2011 - Vodka is Vodka; once you m ix it with a little juice or whatever, your filtration is unnecessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO077nu2m5E
    Whats barturtle doing in that video pretending to be Jaime the Russian literature expert ?
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

I've done this simply using a cheap aquarium filter. It undoubtedly reduces the "sharpness" of the vodka.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I've done this simply using a cheap aquarium filter. It undoubtedly reduces the "sharpness" of the vodka.
    But oh, the fishiness it imparts!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Disciple

Maybe I should have included the word "unused" in my post above.

Advanced Taster

I saw a TV show where they had a vodka sommelier. They took cheap vodka, passed it thru a Brita filter a few times and then had premium vodka. I was amazed; the guy picked out the original cheap vodka, then call the Brita filter passes and then the premium vodka. May have made the vodka drinkable, but not as good as if you have purchased a better vodka.
    Last edited by callmeox; 01-01-2013 at 15:27. Reason: removed color tag for mobile readability

Guru

Amazing how quick that bottom shelf stuff can leap to the top.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    I saw a TV show where they had a vodka sommelier. They took cheap vodka, passed it thru a Brita filter a few times and then had premium vodka. I was amazed; the guy picked out the original cheap vodka, then call the Brita filter passes and then the premium vodka. May have made the vodka drinkable, but not as good as if you have purchased a better vodka.
    This is the same result some friends of mine and I got when we threw a really big party at a convention, and as one of the party games, we featured the Brita filter test with Rubinoff vodka as the bottom-shelfer, Absolut as the mid-shelfer, and Grey Goose as the luxury-priced top end. Most people could pick out the distinctive nastiness of the unfiltered Rubinoff, but after three Brita filter passes, it was indistinguishable from Absolut, and only some could pick out the Grey Goose.

(Rubinoff Vodka is a proud product of Somerville, MA, available for about $5.99 for a 750, but more often found in the $11.99 1.75 liter plastic bottle. Urban Dictionary has this to say about it: "Horrible alcohol from Slummaville. Tastes like nail polish remover going down. Gives you a full body hangover and makes you feel like someone threw you down a flight of stairs.")
    Last edited by Kalessin; 01-02-2013 at 11:39.