Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

New Member from NYC

Not exactly bourbon country but it is making inroads into what is mostly single malt territory. Like most of you I started drinking whiskey in college, freshman year drank & threw up Jack Daniels. Moved onto Old Bushmills Irish whiskey, which I still drink, that led me down the path to single malts, such as Oban, Talisker, Auchentoshen & the obligatory Macallan. Still enjoy them but they have gotten quite expensive over time. My bourbon journey started with Beam & soda, moved to Maker's Mark, then to Knob Creek then Woodford. I was happy there but then I found this place which encouraged me to branch out & seek other styles & I am glad I did.

Right now I have Woodford, Elmer T Lee, Four Roses yellow label, Eagle Rare & Old Weller Antique open in the bar. I was too liberal with my early acquisitions of Van Winkle pouring it for friends & telling them this was the best bourbon I had ever had, which led to its depletion. What did I know at the time about SW stocks running down? I have a few bottles bunkered for now, a Stagg, a William Larue Weller, a Lot B & a 20 year VW & a Taylor Tornado. These sit with my various single malts and as bottles get emptied these others get rotated to the bar. I have a modest stockpile, because I buy when I am flush & don't when the bills roll in. I am not a hoarder, these are to be shared with friends.

My favorite drink is the Manhattan, I drink mine with Canadian Club, Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, Angoustura bitters & better quality maraschino cherries. It truly is the "King Of Cocktails." My folks used to drink them with Four Roses blended whiskey before that became unavailable here in the states, that is when we moved to the CC. I don't care for bourbon Manhattans, I find them too sweet, so mostly I drink bourbon on the rocks, unless it is a better bottle in which case it is neat in a snifter with a splash of water & an ice water back.

I have found this forum to be very informative & hope to contribute in my own modest way if possible. Bourbon is a deep subject matter that requires plenty of research, it is a tough job but someone has to do it. Thanks, Stephen.

Connoisseur

Re: New Member from NYC

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about sharing that bottle of VW. There's no time like the present to share good booze with friends.

Like you, I also find Manhattans with bourbon are too sweet. Try a rye whiskey next time instead of the Canadian Club. Rittenhouse BIB & Sazerac rye are my standard mixers. Also, if you want to take it up another notch, track down some Carpano Antica vermouth (or Dolin Rouge). Finally, I like to add a bitter liqueur like Campari or Gran Classico to my Manhattans to turn them into Boulevardiers! The Boulevardier also does better with the sweeter profile of bourbon, but stick with a rye recipe bourbon. That Four Roses should be perfect.

Virtuoso

Hello Stephen and welcome from Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Taster

Thanks Gents. I have gone down the Rittenhouse BIB road for Manhattans, pairing it with Dolin vermouth as well as Martini & Rossi. I will stick with the CC for my Manhattans, I preferred the Rittenhouse on the rocks by itself! I have found that I am not a huge Rye fan & prefer "Wheaters" as my favorite style of bourbons.

Taster

Welcome from Brooklyn! There's a few other very knowledgeable and very helpful members from the area that post here as well.
    New York is a great place for whiskey lovers. We're lucky to have some of the finest bars and liquor stores in the world, unfortunately it doesn't come cheap!

Guru

Good morning Stephen, welcome aboard.

Taster

Thanks Jake, I have been lurking for awhile, plenty to learn about the whiskey scene here in NYC. I used to spend quite a bit of time at DBA on 1st avenue in the East Village, they had a marvelous single malt collection, as well as bourbon. Usually hunt for bourbon in Astor wines or Warehouse liquors over on Broadway.

Hello Squire, this boy from NYC spent plenty of time in Jackson Mississippi as my aunt & uncle lived there for a few years. I got to play golf at the CC of Jackson many times, lovely folks & great memories of Jackson.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by RT Fan View Post
    Usually hunt for bourbon in Astor wines or Warehouse liquors over on Broadway.
    Welcome to the Board. Astor and Warehouse are two great spots--a quick subway ride away for me from my office.

Apprentice

Welcome aboard Stephen. While New York is way too much for me these days, you guys probably have the best selection of whiskey on the planet. What a place to be a bourbon fan.

Advanced Taster

Welcome Stephen! Always glad to see another local guy on the board. The manhattan is my favorite cocktail as well though I generally make mine with rye (Ritt bib, Saz Jr, WTR101, etc) but recall having a few with Seagrams 7 some time back and thinking it wasn't bad. Maybe I'll give Canadian Club a go next.