Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Hello from WA State

Hi all. New to the bourbon thing. I usually drink Crown, mixed with Coke. Slowly trying new things, haven't had much though. I recently bought a house and it has a full bar. Figured I'd put it to use and slowly start stocking it and be able to enjoy a nice drink at home. Planning to learn and chat with others here and all that jazz.

Disciple

Hello from WA State

Welcome!

Maybe try some Evan Williams with Coke in place of Crown, it's a great value and I prefer it to Crown anyway... It'd save a few bucks that can go toward stocking that bar!

What bourbons have you tried? What's your opinion of them?
    Jim

Apprentice

Re: Hello from WA State

I honestly haven't had a lot. It's all pretty new to me.

The only bourbon in my stash is Knob Creek. I have some Jack Daniels Single Barrel, but JD isn't a bourbon. I do have some Woodinville Whiskey, which is from a local distillery.

Disciple

Hello from WA State

In that case... There are plenty of good lists around of where to start, but I recommend you find yourself a bottle of Weller bourbon. If you get the 107 proof expression, you may want to cut it to a bit lower proof, at least at first.

KC is a good pour IMO, it isn't for everyone but I almost always seem to have a bottle around. Naming conventions aside, Jack Daniel's is essentially a bourbon. Been a good while since I had any JDSB but I would imagine you'll find the KC more to your liking.
    Jim

Apprentice

I thought JD wasn't a bourbon due to the recipe? and the amount of corn used and bla bla bla? I'm all new to the history and what is and what isn't bourbon.

either way, I'll drink whatever is good to me, haha.

Guru

Hello from WA State

Welcome from another Washington member - I'm a relative newbie to bourbon as well but I've learned lots here on SB.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Welcome from another Washington member - I'm a relative newbie to bourbon as well but I've learned lots here on SB.

I'm looking forward to learning and getting some suggestions.

Disciple

Hello from WA State

Quote Originally Posted by BigPenguin View Post
    I thought JD wasn't a bourbon due to the recipe? and the amount of corn used and bla bla bla? I'm all new to the history and what is and what isn't bourbon.

either way, I'll drink whatever is good to me, haha.
    Its mashbill (recipe) meets the standards for bourbon, as does its aging in new charred oak for 4+ years. The Lincoln County Process is the biggest difference between Jack/George and the KSBW producers, but it wouldn't be a disqualifier if JD decided they wanted to call their product bourbon.

"I'll drink whatever is good to me" seems a good mantra... How did that KC and Coke treat you?
    Jim

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Its mashbill (recipe) meets the standards for bourbon, as does its aging in new charred oak for 4+ years. The Lincoln County Process is the biggest difference between Jack/George and the KSBW producers, but it wouldn't be a disqualifier if JD decided they wanted to call their product bourbon.

"I'll drink whatever is good to me" seems a good mantra... How did that KC and Coke treat you?
    The KC and Coke was good. Had 3 of them.

Disciple

Hello from WA State

Quote Originally Posted by BigPenguin View Post
    The KC and Coke was good. Had 3 of them.
    Cool! Try it without the Coke, maybe with some water, over ice, see how that grabs you... Probably worth trying your Crown on its own too, I find it to be very sipable.

When I first started drinking bourbon, ginger ale was my favorite mixer and I enjoyed my share of whiskey sours too.
    Jim