Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Hello from WA State

Welcome to SB. Looks like new Seattle metro members are coming out of the woodwork today, I like to see that.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Cool! Try it without the Coke, maybe with some water, over ice, see how that grabs you... Probably worth trying your Crown on its own too, I find it to be very sipable.

When I first started drinking bourbon, ginger ale was my favorite mixer and I enjoyed my share of whiskey sours too.
    Do you still add water even if you have ice? I figured the ice would help cut it down once the ice starts to melt.

Disciple

Hello from WA State

Matter of preference. KC is 100 proof so if you added 1/5 water and then poured it over ice it'd be the same starting proof as Crown. But of course the melting ice adds more water. Some folks use just water, others just ice... For me, KC and Crown are both very fine whiskeys to sip neat; it's really just that the high proof of neat spirits takes some getting used to when you're accustomed to having them with a mixer.
    Jim

Taster

Also being from WA I have been here for a few years now and when I started doing the bourbon thing I started drinking it with 2 cubes of ice then I went down to 1 and finally after about 6 months I started drinking it neat. right now it is very hard to find great bourbons due to the state being out of the business but I order mine most of the time now. The Party source is having a 15 dollar flat rate sale Monday only. I am going to order 9 handles of various bourbons. Such as Very Old Bartons 100 for 24 the new Larceny that I have not seen here for 40. Weller 107 for 40 I buy 1/2 gallons and pour them into 1/5ths when drinking mostly just to save money. I am getting the equivalent of 21 fifths for under 15 dollars each with the flat rate shipping. Good luck and happy drinking.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2highcal View Post
    Also being from WA I have been here for a few years now and when I started doing the bourbon thing I started drinking it with 2 cubes of ice then I went down to 1 and finally after about 6 months I started drinking it neat. right now it is very hard to find great bourbons due to the state being out of the business but I order mine most of the time now. The Party source is having a 15 dollar flat rate sale Monday only. I am going to order 9 handles of various bourbons. Such as Very Old Bartons 100 for 24 the new Larceny that I have not seen here for 40. Weller 107 for 40 I buy 1/2 gallons and pour them into 1/5ths when drinking mostly just to save money. I am getting the equivalent of 21 fifths for under 15 dollars each with the flat rate shipping. Good luck and happy drinking.
    Have you checked out Total Wine in Bellevue yet? I know it's bit of a drive from the north, but they have a big selection of stuff. The taxes is the only thing that sucks about the prices here.

Connoisseur

Good to see another member from the area. Welcome. This is a great site to learn from.

Guru

Hello from WA State

Quote Originally Posted by BigPenguin View Post
    Have you checked out Total Wine in Bellevue yet? I know it's bit of a drive from the north, but they have a big selection of stuff. The taxes is the only thing that sucks about the prices here.
    No Larceny nor any of the VOB's there unfortunately
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Ha! I'm in Seattle and I plan on buying a mixed case from The Party Source tomorrow to take advantage of the flat-rate shipping. I buy 90% of my bourbon online now. Taxes here are a killer for the serious drinker.