Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Hello from Louisiana

I had always considered to be a scotch drinker, and until a couple of years ago, had not had much in the way of bourbon. However, I attended a conference in Lexington back in 2010, I shared a number of bourbons with an old Kentucky gentleman of my acquaintance (a retired professor from UK). The hotel bar was quite naturally stocked with quite a few bourbons, and I had a number of them. My friend was partial to Maker's Mark.

Since then, I have fallen hard for bourbon. I have found that over time, I reach for one of my bottles of scotch less and less frequently, and will go for a bourbon instead. I have also discovered that I have a fondness for ryes as well. An added bonus is that high end bourbons are still at the same price point as mid-range scotches. I am building a decent collection of bourbons and ryes, which is highlighted by half a dozen different bottles from the BTAC (WLW, GTS, and THH).

My other passions are watching my favorite football teams (the LSU Tigers and the New Orleans Saints), and cooking on my Big Green Egg.

Looking forward to talking about whiskey with some fellow enthusiasts!

Guru

Hello from Louisiana

Welcome Dan & Geaux Tigers! I grew up in Louisiana but live in the Seattle area now. Much like you, I started out Scotch heavy and am rounding out my collection and palate with Bourbons, Ryes, & Japanese whiskies.

I'm relatively new to American whiskies but am learning lots and loving the diversity in Whisk(e)yLand.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-23-2012 at 20:38.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Re: Hello from Louisiana

Hi CW. Thanks for the greeting. Good to see a fellow Tiger fan here. You know, a sure sign that a fan base is spoiled is when a team loses a total of 3 games over 2 years, and everyone still feels that the team has underperformed.

My infatuation with bourbon has surprised me. Highland Park 18 is a wonderful whisky, yet I haven't had a pour of that in months. I imagine that the pendulum will swing back at least part-way to the point where my scotches will get back in the picture. They are feeling lonely in the back of the liquor cabinet right now.

Enthusiast

Welcome to the gang Dan. Enjoy yourself here.

Novice

Hi. I'm new too. How did you create a new thread?

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhirsch16 View Post
    Hi. I'm new too. How did you create a new thread?
    Welcome,

Click on the "New to Straightbourbon" forum and then the orange "Start new Thread" button.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Hello from Louisiana

I think we're in the golden age for LSU football - some of the fan whining is derived from comparisons to Saban's current team I'd wager.

For whatever reason, I was more into bourbon during the summer but migrated back to Scotch this fall. Since the release of BTAC these past few weeks, I've settled back in at 50/50 I think.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Which of the BTACs did you get? I got two each of the Weller and the Stagg. The Handy is usually plentiful around here. I haven't gotten one of those yet, but I certainly will soon. I've never tried either the Saz or the ER.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forum! Good to have another person from the area in here. Look me up if you make it to NOLA.

Guru

Hello from Louisiana

I got all of them but ended up giving the single bottle of ER17 to my brother (he did get me bottles of WLW '12 & VWFRR).

For the other Fall limited editions, I scored a few bottles of PHC (both batches) & 4RSmB LE 2012.

Oh, lately I've been getting into Tequila as well - Corrido Reposado (single barrel), Anejo, & Extra Anejo, Crotalo Anejo & Extra Anejo, Don Pilar Anejo, Pueblo Viejo Orgullo Anejo, 7 Leguas Anejo...

If I can get a few more bottles of VWFRR, I will spend the cash but I'm done until the Spring (unless I can source a Lagavulin 21 or a PC10). I suppose there's always something else that'll spring up to spend my $$ on...

;-)
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-24-2012 at 14:29.