Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Scotch price increases!

Was at a local store today and the Price of Macallan Cask strength SMS went from 63.00 to 83.00. that has to be a record around here!

Thomas

Virtuoso

Re: Scotch price increases!

Forget that. I like it well enough, but not that well.

Pretty soon, the Scotch guys are going to cut their own throats. If it wasn't for the price of Scotch 3-4 years ago, I might never have given Bourbon too much thought. As it is, I rarely purchase Scotch anymore. All I can figure is, there must be enough six figure salaries around to keep the single malt flowing. I'm sure out of the game.
    Last edited by ebo; 11-24-2012 at 15:52.

Disciple

I pick up bottles mostly when on sale. Have bottles from about half the distilleries in Scotland!

Thomas

Taster

Macallan Cask strength made the same price jump here in Vermont recently. Laphroaig 18yr has been pretty consistently priced around $85, but I saw one in MA last week for $125. With price jumps like that and a shaky economy, it's going to be the 80's all over again for the scotch industry before long.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike View Post
    With price jumps like that and a shaky economy, it's going to be the 80's all over again for the scotch industry before long.
    I believe you are right.
    The industry, however, is operating with the assumption that demand from emerging markets will keep on growing exponentially ...

Guru

I was standing in my local the other day and calculated I could buy four bottles of 86 proof Barton for the price of one bottle of an 80 proof Balvenie expression that we used to buy regularly, but decided it wasn't four times better than the Barton.

Virtuoso

I too have noticed scotch prices going up here in Lexington, KY. I thought it was just an isolated thing. I've seen Laphroaig 10yr go up a few bucks and I noticed the entire Balvenie line all go up quite a bit. I've never been a big fan of any of The Balvenie expressions but the price jump was enough for me to notice.

It's crazy these days. I find myself standing there considering high end bourbons in the $60-$70 range, right next to standard issue scotches that are only $5-$10 cheaper. Forget everyday pours, it's almost not possible for me to have a scotch in that category at all times. Plenty of $30 bourbons I can (and do) happily drink regularly.

Guru

Same here, two really good Bourbons for the price of one single malt of equal quality.

I just bought a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength a couple months ago for around $63 at a BevMo in Santa Clara, California. I went back a week later and they were all sold out (in fact none of the nearby BevMos had bottles either). Why are other parts of the country so expensive?