Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Greetings from Seattle

Hi SB Folks,

I've been a bourbon/whiskey drinker a little more than 20 years (since high school) and serious bourbon drinker about nine years. My "awakening" occurred in 2004 when I was living in NYC and tried Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye for the first time. I was hooked on the good stuff after that and over the years I've had my fair share of excellent bourbon (and horrible bourbon also).

I currently have about 65 bottles of bourbon/rye/whiskey ranging from garbage (Yellowstone, Prestige) to basic (BT, OW107) to craft (Delaware Phoenix, Oola, Stein) to good sourced (High West, Smooth Ambler Old Scout, Willetts) to high-end (PVW23, GTS, Jefferson's 18). I'm a pretty good scavenger and I admit that I do enjoy the hunt (reminds me of when I was a kid collecting baseball cards and comic books; also, I'm in the research business, so I'm sort of wired to collect information). I know I can find it, but I also need to get a good price (ok, sometimes I may pay a little premium). I tend to drink it all neat, with a drop or two of water, or, on the lower-end, mixed with club soda. I'll have a cocktail on occasion and I recently made some infusions for the first time but I'm really all about drinking it with as little fuss as possible.

I hope I can contribute some good insight and such to SB as time goes by.

P.S. - Seattle has some great bars/restaurants with outstanding bourbon/rye/whiskey selections (Canon, Liberty, Bitterroot) and our local distilling scene is putting out some good juice (Woodinville, Oola, Bainbridge Distillers, Golden Distillery). If you're planning a visit to the area feel free to contact me and I'll try to answer any questions or offer some advice on where to go.

Guru

Greetings from Seattle

From another Washington resident, welcome to SB DA! I look forward to your contributions as I am sponging up as much whisky data I can find (being somewhat new to whiskies and all).

I absolutely love Canon as its helped me avoid some bottles I would've regretted buying.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Re: Greetings from Seattle

From another Seattle member, welcome aboard!

Advanced Taster

Hi Guys. I figured there must be some other Seattle folks active here. Any neighborhood secrets worth sharing?

Guru

Greetings from Seattle

I'm over on the Eastside so I head over to Lot.3 often - they do half-shots there so I get to try lots of stuff. Nothing really compares to Canon's list but Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in SnoHo has a very impressive whisky menu as well.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I'm over on the Eastside so I head over to Lot.3 often - they do half-shots there so I get to try lots of stuff. Nothing really compares to Canon's list but Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in SnoHo has a very impressive whisky menu as well.
    I was just at Fred's last night. Love that place. I'm usually there for the beer.

Do they have a lot of bourbons too? I always thought they had more of Irish whiskeys and other things. I've never really looked at the list.

Taster

Welcome your bunker sounds impressive. I responded to BigPenguins Intro also. Look forward to your contribution.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I don't spend much time over in that neck of the woods but I do want to stop by Clearview Liquors, so knocking a few back at Fred's sounds like a good idea.