Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Vatting Stitzer Weller juice?

I have some WSR from the early '80's that is is full of that unique SW smell and taste. While pleasant and enjoyable, it is not my favorite bottle from the current stash.

I decided to vat small amounts of WSR with current Weller 12 and Old Weller Antique. I picked up a bitter note with the WSR-W12 blend that was not noticeable in WSR or W12 individually. The WSR and OWA are a very nice combo so far. A 1:4 ratio of the old WSR to the current Wellers is enough to dramatically change the taste.

I mixed and tried these last night and will let them sit for a week or so to see how they change with a little time. Ultimately I will vat some SB blend plus enough WLW to up the proof to the 105-107 range. I'm hoping that adding some of the old WSR will provide taste like older Pappy 15s, that's been missing for several years.

Has anyone else tried vatting SW Wellers with current versions? What were your results?
    Rob

Enthusiast

Re: Vatting Stitzer Weller juice?

I have come across quite a few bottles of early '90s OF Prime, which has that super sweet S-W profile, but is just too weak at 80 proof. I've vatted it with OWA before to good results.

The only SW I've ever vatted was some early 90's Old Fitz Prime with 09 WLW. The Old Fitz Prime really tamed down the excessive heat that was present in the 09 WLW and made it noticeably better.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

I haven't used any Weller, but I do often cut my WLW down with SW Fitz Prime/80. Especially good for the '09 WLW, since that year is so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    I haven't used any Weller, but I do often cut my WLW down with SW Fitz Prime/80. Especially good for the '09 WLW, since that year is so hot.
    I learned that from him.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Sort of off topic, I have a bottle of 09 Weller that has been open since April 2011. It is about half full and the heat is gone. What's left is amazing whiskey. I used to drink this one with an ice cube or two but it's beginning to show itself really well neat.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I used to do these kinds of mixes all the time, and they work very well. You can do it with any wheater in fact, e.g. Maker's, or Old Fitzgerald from HH.

Gary