Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What states actually seel W. L. Weller 12 year old

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    Is there a logical reason why one state can get the Special Reserve and the Antique but not the 12 year?
    For starters, it's 12 years old. We all know what kind of dent the bourbon renaissance has put into aged whiskey. You'd probably see less availability on even the OWA and SR, if not for the dropping of the age statement on them. Fans of the 12 should count themselves lucky that it's available anywhere. I'm pretty sure that the talk on this board 5-6 years ago was that the 12 yr was being discontinued. It certainly has gone through very, very prolonged droughts of availability. Also, up until a couple of years ago it was available in maybe 2-3 states...if that?...Heck, it may have been a Kentucky only product ~2004ish. Honestly speaking, I'm surprised that as many states that carry it have been named. But, I'm doing my part to increase availability for my SB brothers and sisters. I don't much care for it, so I don't buy it. The last bottle I bought, was just because I could, as it had just appeared here in Jawjuh...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    For starters, it's 12 years old. We all know what kind of dent the bourbon renaissance has put into aged whiskey. You'd probably see less availability on even the OWA and SR, if not for the dropping of the age statement on them. Fans of the 12 should count themselves lucky that it's available anywhere. I'm pretty sure that the talk on this board 5-6 years ago was that the 12 yr was being discontinued. It certainly has gone through very, very prolonged droughts of availability. Also, up until a couple of years ago it was available in maybe 2-3 states...if that?...Heck, it may have been a Kentucky only product ~2004ish. Honestly speaking, I'm surprised that as many states that carry it have been named. But, I'm doing my part to increase availability for my SB brothers and sisters. I don't much care for it, so I don't buy it. The last bottle I bought, was just because I could, as it had just appeared here in Jawjuh...
    That makes sense. I just wish I could try it and see if it's a worthy substitute for 12yr Lot "B", which I absolutely love. Oh well, may be time for a road trip soon to get some.

Apprentice

What states actually seel W. L. Weller 12 year old

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    Fortunately, the Weller 12 is $21 around here, which is pretty surprising NYC would have one of the better prices on anything, let alone something scarce.
    I'm looking at the NYS wholesale price book and for whatever reason the Weller 12 wholesales for about $5 less than OWA in NY. I can only speculate the distributor has older stock sitting collecting dust because stores aren't buying the product.

Connoisseur

Add MN to the list, albeit on a very limited scale, I know of two places that have it currently in the cities.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Advanced Taster

I have seen it in Springfield, Missouri but not in Kansas City where I live.
    Jim

Like others have posted, it's available here in Illinois. That being said.....ATTN: THREAD DRIFT! THREAD DRIFT! Like I have stated before in another thread (threads), I've heard from a couple of different sources that Weller 12 is supposedly becoming a once a year release like the BTAC and Van Winkle bottlings. Not sure if it's true or not, but it sure seems that way. Stocks in my general area tend to dwindle a bit, then just when you think it may disappear, voila!, shelves are somewhat full again. I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a word I hate to use, I am assuming that this is a direct result of the BT wheated distillate being used entirely for the Van Winkle bottlings now. Dohhhhh! Ya' reckon?

FWIW, I love Weller 12. A 12 year old bourbon that tastes pretty darn good, and is available at under $30 is, or should be a bargain in anyones book. But that's just my opinion. I also would never use it for the SB blend. It stands alone as a great bourbon in and by itself. I use Weller SR and OWA for my SB blend. Just makes more sense to me.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Like others have posted, it's available here in Illinois. That being said.....ATTN: THREAD DRIFT! THREAD DRIFT! Like I have stated before in another thread (threads), I've heard from a couple of different sources that Weller 12 is supposedly becoming a once a year release like the BTAC and Van Winkle bottlings. Not sure if it's true or not, but it sure seems that way. Stocks in my general area tend to dwindle a bit, then just when you think it may disappear, voila!, shelves are somewhat full again. I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a word I hate to use, I am assuming that this is a direct result of the BT wheated distillate being used entirely for the Van Winkle bottlings now. Dohhhhh! Ya' reckon?

FWIW, I love Weller 12. A 12 year old bourbon that tastes pretty darn good, and is available at under $30 is, or should be a bargain in anyones book. But that's just my opinion. I also would never use it for the SB blend. It stands alone as a great bourbon in and by itself. I use Weller SR and OWA for my SB blend. Just makes more sense to me.
    I can tell you with some certainty that Weller 12 yr is now a once a year, allocated release (at least in Ky). Spoke with the Republic rep who handles the Weller account in my area and he confirmed this. We won't see Weller again until the fall in Ky.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    I can tell you with some certainty that Weller 12 yr is now a once a year, allocated release (at least in Ky). Spoke with the Republic rep who handles the Weller account in my area and he confirmed this. We won't see Weller again until the fall in Ky.
    Thanks Kyjd75. It's good to know that my sources might be correct at least once in a while. Even if it's not quite a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    Binny's certainly has upped the prices on this bourbon in the last 2 years...in 2010 it was $22.99, then $24.99, now they're up to $27.99. At $25 and under I would buy this bottle but now at $30 otd there are many other choices that I would make before getting this one!
    By the way Bob, you're wrong. Weller 12 at Binny's was $24.99 from 2008 through 2010. I have the receipts to prove it. From multiple stores no less. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you come in here and try to wow us with you extemporaneous bs. But thanks anyway for your erroneous input. God Bless Enid Strict.

PTI folks, but I must say this pour of Weller 12 sure does taste good tonight. Cheers!

Advanced Taster

Re: What states actually sell W. L. Weller 12 year old

Sounds like I need to stock up while the getting is good. I'm going shopping tomorrow.