Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: What states actually seel W. L. Weller 12 year old

Quote Originally Posted by Crowes View Post
    Is there a logical reason why one state can get the Special Reserve and the Antique but not the 12 year?
    There could be. Some control states limit the number of listings so producers have to pick and choose. They can't list as many products as they want to. Some states accomplish the same thing through listing fees. Companies don't want to pay the listing fees on products that don't sell very well. In license states (i.e., not control) it's up to the distributor what they want to carry. They may put limitations on which of a producer's products they'll carry, even if the state doesn't.

Sometimes producers won't make things available in some places because their supplies are limited and so they don't offer those products in states where they don't think they will sell well. Sometimes it's the producer's decision, but more often it's the state or distributor.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Do other states (Georgia in particular) happen to fall in that group that can be shipped to if the order is called in rather than ordered over the internet? Seems like I have tried by phone in the past and was not able to place an order.
    Yes, but Georgia isn't one of them. The state says, "No booze."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    There could be. Some control states limit the number of listings so producers have to pick and choose. They can't list as many products as they want to. Some states accomplish the same thing through listing fees. Companies don't want to pay the listing fees on products that don't sell very well. In license states (i.e., not control) it's up to the distributor what they want to carry. They may put limitations on which of a producer's products they'll carry, even if the state doesn't.

Sometimes producers won't make things available in some places because their supplies are limited and so they don't offer those products in states where they don't think they will sell well. Sometimes it's the producer's decision, but more often it's the state or distributor.
    That's goof info, thanks.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    It is also sold here in Montgomery County, Maryland....although they frequently go out of stock for long stretches of time.
    For only 18.99 at that...bought 4 bottles last time it was available.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by David D View Post
    Yes, but Georgia isn't one of them. The state says, "No booze."
    OK, thanks for the follow up. Didn't realize it was a state thing as I have gotten shipments from at least one SF area store in the past (maybe a year or so ago?).

DUNY, TPS and Astor have been able to send me booze in the (very recent) past. Unfortunately, they just don't always have what you have. Like Hooker's House bourbon for example or things from Old World Spirits.

Perhaps the rules are different between different states. I know the booze laws in Georgia are pretty whacky and largely incomprehensible for mere mortals.

Oh well, never hurts to ask!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Some stores don't follow the rules. It makes some sense. The State of Georgia really has no authority over a store in San Francisco. Their rescourse isn't against the store, it's against the customer. Stores that follow the rules anyway do so because they think it's good customer service to not be the cause of a visit from the ABC cops.

Connoisseur

Has anyone here ever had such a visit?

Guru

Not I! And I have had several shipments arrive from London full of delightful delicacies with nary a revenuer in sight!

But I respect the stores right to do as they feel is appropriate. May not like it but I respect it. I place the blame squarely at the feet of the state.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

An acquaintance asked my assistance in getting a special brand of champagne to celebrate her 10th wedding anniversary and I found one (surprisingly hard to find, she did pick a special one) from a store that didn't ship to our State. When she explained the circumstances they sent it anyway and even paid the shipping. When travel takes me to that city I always drop by and give them some business.

Apprentice

This was one of the bourbons I really wanted to take home from my recent trip to KY, but couldn't find it for a couple days......then they were out at Bourbon's Bistro, and said they didn't expect any more till next year. On my way out of town found it at the last minute at Liquor World. Needless to say, I get the feeling the demand for Weller 12 far outweighs the supply.