Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Local malt shortages?

I'm sure many of you have heard the scuttlebutt about mid-1980's production being low, which supposedly has impacted availability of certain malts. The only one I've personally experienced is the disappearance of Lagavulin 16yo, but now there's supposedly a shortage of Oban.

Have any of you noticed shortages?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Local malt shortages?

I have heard via the discussion forum at www.whiskymag.com that there is in fact a shortage of Lagavulin. The 16 year old is apparently disappearing, to be replaced by a 12 year old version (which was available years back before the 16 year expression took off in popularity). Oban may have been mentioned too, I refer interested readers to the forum for further discussion.

Some single malts may henceforth become vatted (combinations of malts from different distilleries).

It appears indeed that 1980's production was not as high as required to meet the present demand.

This sounds a bit discouraging but on the other hand, never before has there been such a variety of malts on the market, especially if one factors in the bottlings of the independent merchants. The whisky business, in the U.K. as here, faces challenges in always predicting correctly the ebb and flow of supply and demand. But as I say, the restricted supply or availabality of one malt should not be a major concern: others will always be available. If Lagavulin 16 year old in fact becomes unavailable and the 12 year version fails to please, I counsel people to buy Ardbeg, or Laphroig, or (a great value) Talisker. Talisker to my taste, despite being a rich peaty drink, reminds me of fine American straight whiskeys of medium but smoky palate, say the older Virginia Gentleman, or Russell's Reserve or Kentucky Spirit.

The bridge to Scotch whisky from Western Pennsylvania (where U.S. whiskey started) is very long indeed at this point, but one can still make the crossing with special equipment.

Gary

Connoisseur

Some single malts may henceforth become vatted (combinations of malts from different distilleries).
    Are you saying this is a side-effect of underproduction (eg. there are stocks of a certain malt of a certain age, but not enough for a bottling run, so they use it in blends/vatted malts instead)?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes, precisely. Cardhu will, according to Whisky Magazine, issue 33 (current issue) become a vatted malt. No doubt others will follow..

Gary

Advanced Taster

Lagavulin is not the only one of the "Classic Malts" that apparently is in short supply. Talisker and Cragganmore disappeared from store shelves here (PA) months ago, and the vendor says they don't expect a shipment of those until next year . Also, I believe the new Lagavulin 12yo is a cask strength bottling, and reportedly is very good.

SpeedyJohn

Enthusiast

SpeedyJohn,

I for one will be on the look-out for the Cask Strength Lagavulin. I bet that would be one fine dram!

Bob

Enthusiast

In addition to Gary's fine suggestions, I'd like to add a few more favorites for your consideration. Bowmore, Bruichladdich, The Macallan, Springbank, Dalmore, Glenmorangie, Highland Park are all excellent and offer different taste profiles as well as price ranges. While there are shortages of some favorites, it gives us an opportunity to try other things that we might not have tried otherwise. The journey continues...

Bob

Guru

I think I'll ask for it the next time I'm at a full-line liqour store.

Just to be mischievous, I'll ask for "that new, barrel-proof Lagavulin bottling".

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Just to be mischievous, I'll ask for "that new, barrel-proof Lagavulin bottling".
    I endorse that idea heartily. You are welcome to use me as a reference!

Apprentice

Unfortunately the CS Lagavulin will not be brought in to the US anytime soon, but the Signatory UnChillfiltered Laphroaig is in the US and should satisfy any peaty cravings. Also if you can get hold of the CS Laphroaig from anyone going through duty-free, it is well worth it.