Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: St. Paul, MN Greetings

Fleischman's Rye is a northeastern Wisconsin-only product. If you drive to the Green Bay game, you might find some on the way. I would avoid MGM in general because they are over priced. I've seen Templeton at $40 to $45 around. PM me if interested. Bulleit and Templeton probably don't taste the same, but they come from the same source, as do the young Willett ryes, which are generally 110 proof and in the $30 to $40 range. What was it about the Templeton that you liked?

Something that you might try that's only available around here is Very Old Heaven Hill 8 year old, 86 proof. It's about $10 for a liter and while it varies a bit, it can be pretty good... at worst, it makes a great mixer.

Welcome, by the way.

P.S. where do you find Dickel #8? I can only ever find the #12 and Barrel Select.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Fleischman's Rye is a northeastern Wisconsin-only product. If you drive to the Green Bay game, you might find some on the way. I would avoid MGM in general because they are over priced. I've seen Templeton at $40 to $45 around. PM me if interested. Bulleit and Templeton probably don't taste the same, but they come from the same source, as do the young Willett ryes, which are generally 110 proof and in the $30 to $40 range. What was it about the Templeton that you liked?

Something that you might try that's only available around here is Very Old Heaven Hill 8 year old, 86 proof. It's about $10 for a liter and while it varies a bit, it can be pretty good... at worst, it makes a great mixer.

Welcome, by the way.

P.S. where do you find Dickel #8? I can only ever find the #12 and Barrel Select.
    The Templeton was exceptionally smooth compared to my recollection of other Rye's (though the only thing I have on the cabinet to compare it to directly is Old Overholt Rye at the moment). The Rye spice was balanced by a nice buttery vanilla and corn sweetness. I'd even dare say it could have used more alcohol heat.

I found the Dickel #8 at the MGM off Whitebear and 94. Coincidentally, it was purchased as a "daily" supplement to the Templeton.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sirpuddingfoot View Post
    The Templeton was exceptionally smooth compared to my recollection of other Rye's (though the only thing I have on the cabinet to compare it to directly is Old Overholt Rye at the moment). The Rye spice was balanced by a nice buttery vanilla and corn sweetness. I'd even dare say it could have used more alcohol heat.

I found the Dickel #8 at the MGM off Whitebear and 94. Coincidentally, it was purchased as a "daily" supplement to the Templeton.
    Interesting. Templeton is made, as far as we can tell, at MGPI and has no corn in the mashbill.

If you like that somewhat gentler rye profile you might try to find a bottle of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Rye. (I haven't seen much around lately but then I haven't been looking, etiher). It is a different take on rye and might be right in your wheelhouse.

Novice

Oh THAT Fleischmann's... as in the bottom shelf of bottom shelf rail liquors... or 1.75L bottles (at least of gin/vodka/etc.) for under $15 and frequently on sale under that (I think Morelli's was advertizing $12 for handles this month). How did I miss that...

I guess it couldn't be worse than that bottle of OGD 86 Proof I haven't poured down the drain yet.

Virtuoso

No, not that Fleischmann's. What you see around here is Fleischmann's Preferred, which is a blend. The rye is a straight rye.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Which did you like better ?
    Have to say Templeton. But I have had a bottle or two that were pretty bland, also there are other ~$40 bottle Ryes, that I would prefer over Templeton though.
    After posting that last night, poured some more Bulleit and had it with bit of ice to see if the alcohol content was the prime factor, still never got as tasty as Templeton.

Sirpuddingfoot. You should check out the North Star Bartenders Guild up here if you ever want to do some craft cocktail bartending nights. Know they have been getting hired to do events.