Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

Trader Joe's Bourbon

Trader Joe's has a new private label bourbon made by Buffalo Trace. Here's my review: http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/...s-bourbon.html

Trader Joe's has done a number of private label whiskeys, but never a bourbon, until now. Trader Joe's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is a new product on their shelves. It is distilled at Buffalo Trace and goes for a typically TJ's affordable price of $15.

Trader Joe's Kentucky Bourbon, 45% abv ($15)

The nose is very nice, woody with a nice rye kick, burnt caramel and cloves. The palate is much less complex with lots of vanilla, and some spice on late palate, but it fades to bitterness in the end which lasts into the finish which is quite bitter.

This one starts well but doesn't hold up. Even for $15, there are better bourbons on the shelf. I expected more out of Buffalo Trace, but maybe there is a reason they aren't releasing this under their own label.

Virtuoso

Re: Trader Joe's Bourbon

Interesting. My Trader Joe's that just recently opened here in Lexington, KY only sells wine.

Apprentice

I wonder if that's something they will have at the Trader Joe's around me. I haven't been to one in awhile, but not sure if they planned to carry alcohol ever since the state was ran out of business to sell alcohol. I'll have to try to remember to stop into one and see if they carry it.

Guru

I'll stop off at T-Joes tomorrow and see what's up.
    ovh

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Interesting. My Trader Joe's that just recently opened here in Lexington, KY only sells wine.

Clavius,

Actually, I can verify that the Louisville TJ's has added spirits about a month or so ago. My buddy in Lexington tells me that spirits have also appeared in the Lexington TJ's. Didn't see the bourbon when I was in the Louisville TJ's a few weeks ago, but they promised it was coming. All of their bourbon offerings were 5$-$20 above local market.

Joel

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I thought this Bourbon was pretty decent for $15.

Novice

Trader Joe's Bourbon

If it's anything like their private-label beer, I will run away quickly!

Guru

I didn't think their beer made by Goose Island was too bad at all. But like Clavius said, no spirits to be had at our TJs.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I didn't think their beer made by Goose Island was too bad at all. But like Clavius said, no spirits to be had at our TJs.
    Their private label whiskeys have varied a lot. They had a line of single malts that was pretty bad (they now have a new one that I haven't tried) but I really like their Irish Whiskey.

Guru

Yeah, I've read a lot of good things about their Irish. Was the one big thing I was looking forward to when we finally got one. No such luck.