Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Trader Joe's Bourbon

So, this is basically a 90 proof Benchmark?

The TJ's around here don't sell liquor either, except for O'Mara's Irish Cream. They do sell wine, beer and the like.
    Last edited by Josh; 11-28-2012 at 17:21.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Can't say, don't recall that level of bitterness in Benchmark.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    If it's anything like their private-label beer, I will run away quickly!
    The last time I was at TJ's, the beer with their label on it is made by a Canadian Brewery by the name of Unibroue. They're known for making Belgian style ales. So the beer they make for TJ's is usually a Belgian style ale. To the average beer drinker, Belgians probably aren't on your list of beers to drink. If it's something you like, the TJ's beer is not that bad.

Guru

Unibroue makes some good stuff, their Tres Pistoles is a classic.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BigPenguin View Post
    The last time I was at TJ's, the beer with their label on it is made by a Canadian Brewery by the name of Unibroue. They're known for making Belgian style ales. So the beer they make for TJ's is usually a Belgian style ale. To the average beer drinker, Belgians probably aren't on your list of beers to drink. If it's something you like, the TJ's beer is not that bad.
    I'm a fan of their vintage ale series. I usually get two bottles a year. One to drink right away and one to drink a year later. They really seem to hit their peak at 6-12 mos.

Their bottled beer in various styles is pretty good too. Their simpler times lager is awful, but no worse than similar brand name beers.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

I've only seen the one Vintage Ale in the 20oz bottles that Unibroue makes for them. I haven't seen 6 packs or other stuff from them. Then again, I don't get into that store a lot.

Advanced Taster

I've only seen the one Vintage Ale in the 20oz bottles that Unibroue makes for them. I haven't seen 6 packs or other stuff from them. Then again, I don't get into that store a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm a fan of their vintage ale series. I usually get two bottles a year. One to drink right away and one to drink a year later. They really seem to hit their peak at 6-12 mos.

Their bottled beer in various styles is pretty good too. Their simpler times lager is awful, but no worse than similar brand name beers.
    Those 25 oz Cork and caged Trader Joe's Vintage Ale brewed by Unibroue is a very high quality product and at ~$7 is a very good price for a beer of 10% abv strength and in that format.

There are other beers that are great but not all of them are winners. I've heard all the Mission Street beers are brewed at Firestone Walker, some of the German-style beers are brewed by Gordon Biersch

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    Those 25 oz Cork and caged Trader Joe's Vintage Ale brewed by Unibroue is a very high quality product and at ~$7 is a very good price for a beer of 10% abv strength and in that format.

There are other beers that are great but not all of them are winners. I've heard all the Mission Street beers are brewed at Firestone Walker, some of the German-style beers are brewed by Gordon Biersch
    I thoroughly enjoy the Vintage Ale myself and was happy to see the arrival of the 2012 edition. Unibroue does indeed make good beer and these bombers are only $4.99 (!) at my local TJ's which is why I have five of them.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

I stopped at the Ann Arbor trader Joe's today and they don't sell spirits.
    Just as well because from some previous posts it sounds like it'd just 90prf Benchmark, glad they didn't sell spirits.

Way off topic here so delete this if it is not appropiate,.....but I stopped at a store down the road I haven't been to in a while to see if they had any Old Rip's.
    They had none but I did see about 6 or 7 bottles of "Baby Saz", I thought this stuff was cut back and no one could get it.
    ovh

Virtuoso

I've been seeing more Baby Saz in the Twin Cities lately. Not a glut, but it can be had.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.