Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Hypothetical PVW 23 trade

Quote Originally Posted by yountvillewjs View Post
    Don't think it matters what he knows necessarily -- what do his customers know? People don't care that JPS is SW, they want Pappy -- SW or not.
    That's my point. If I trade to shop # 1 for JPS, and then go to shop # 2 with two bottles of JPS, there is no way I will get the VWFRR & ORWV for 2 JPS bottles if he doesn't know what the JPS are.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    I really don't see the value in drinking a PVW23 at retail cost and definitely not at the inflated secondary market price. It all depends on how bad you want a bottle of VWFRR and ORVW. That being said I think you would get a lot more utility out of 5 bottles of JPS over one single bottle of PVW23.
    Thanks Tico. "Utility.". I like that.

Advanced Taster

Re: Hypothetical PVW 23 trade

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Thanks for the input, but that is not one of the scenarios. The PVW 23, that I bought for retail $, does not mean s*&t to me. I can get JPS 18 for $70 and I love it, however, trying to get VWFRR and ORWV 10 in SD county is almost impossible. That is why I am leaning towards either getting 2 hard to find bottles for it, or 5 $70 bottles that I thoroughly enjoy, for it. I suppose I could also hold it for several years until it's worth $1000, but going by how my stock portfolio is performing, I prefer to act now.
    I think the greater point is that you can get more for the PVW23, I think 2 VWFRR and 2 ORVW would be fair. The liquor store owner, who paid wholesale prices for them, should understand that. I would at the very least hold out for two VWFRR and one ORVW.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    This is easy. Trade that bottle for 10 cases of Mellow Corn. You'll be better off. Trust me.
    Don't be stupid. Get three or four cases of Very Old Barton, BiB.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Don't be stupid. Get three or four cases of Very Old Barton, BiB.
    Macallan 25yr methinks

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    I think the greater point is that you can get more for the PVW23, I think 2 VWFRR and 2 ORVW would be fair. The liquor store owner, who paid wholesale prices for them, should understand that. I would at the very least hold out for two VWFRR and one ORVW.
    He may have only one of each, and he may not have necessarily paid wholesale. I've talked to several shop owners who have had to buy 12 cases of vodka to get one bottle of a VW.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    He may have only one of each, and he may not have necessarily paid wholesale. I've talked to several shop owners who have had to buy 12 cases of vodka to get one bottle of a VW.
    Well, then you should be able to trade the 23 for a VWFRR, an ORVW10 ... and a case of Vodka

Enthusiast

I don't know of any store in CA that gets more than one bottle of VWFRR, most get 0. I think if you tried to trade some JPRS for anything you'll get laughed at, that stuff's flooding the shelves right now. He could just buy it from the distributor. Personally, I wouldn't deal with people marking up like that in any way shape or form. Try trading it to someone looking for 23.

Virtuoso

Macallan 25yr methinks
    Bingo.

Look, assuming you paid close to MSRP for the PVW23, and you trade it for VWFRR and ORVW 10/107, you still end up overpaying by about a factor of two. I've had both of these and they are great but hardly worth $250 in my opinion. The smart play would be to trade your overvalued PVW23 for something that's not overvalued. For instance, a 25 or 30 year old single malt. Or multiple cases of whatever value bourbon tickles you... if it was me it would be OGD114, but VOB and Mellow Corn are worthy suggestions, too.

Or, barring that, 5 JPS18s. At least then you're only overpaying by 25%.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

If I walked up to the counter at any of the liquor stores around here, asked for the owner or manager, and said, "I have this bottle of Pappy 23 and I'd like to trade it for those other bottles of whiskey over there..", I'd expect to get in reply, "What, are you from the ABCC? The Department of Revenue? Credit card, debit or cash, or get the hell out of here!"