Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Hypothetical PVW 23 trade

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Bingo.

Look, assuming you paid close to MSRP for the PVW23, and you trade it for VWFRR and ORVW 10/107, you still end up overpaying by about a factor of two. I've had both of these and they are great but hardly worth $250 in my opinion. The smart play would be to trade your overvalued PVW23 for something that's not overvalued. For instance, a 25 or 30 year old single malt. Or multiple cases of whatever value bourbon tickles you... if it was me it would be OGD114, but VOB and Mellow Corn are worthy suggestions, too.

Or, barring that, 5 JPS18s. At least then you're only overpaying by 25%.

Seriously, Macallan 25 is the best and most "equitable" trade you can do with a PVW23. Mac25 actually has a MSRP of $600+ and is much more impressive to have on your top shelf vs. some $250 bottle that's been hyped up to be worth $600+.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    Seriously, Macallan 25 is the best and most "equitable" trade you can do with a PVW23. Mac25 actually has a MSRP of $600+ and is much more impressive to have on your top shelf vs. some $250 bottle that's been hyped up to be worth $600+.
    By the way, I'll save you the suspense. Having owned everything in the Van Winkle line, I can tell you that the ORVW10 and VWFRR is NOT worth $600 (market value wise) of anything. That's an iPad w/ $100 rebate!!! Can we pull ourselves together people?!

Virtuoso

I agree completely, although personally I would hold out for a Talisker 30 and a case of OGD114.

I also agree with your other post about the value of ORVW 10/107 and VWFRR. I've bought ORVW at $40 and it was probably worth that. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it, though. I might not even buy it again at that price. The rye is very good and I'm glad I bought it, somewhere in the neighborhood of $65 last year. I could see paying $100 for it but not much more.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

Hypothetical PVW 23 trade

I really don't drink Scotch, but I'll consider that. If I'm only going to have one bottle of Scotch on my bar, a 25 year would be a good one.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    I really don't drink Scotch, but I'll consider that. If I'm only going to have one bottle of Scotch on my bar, a 25 year would be a good one.
    Try the 12yr and 18yr (a classic) at a bar first to see if its profile is to your liking. Although I would be hesitant to open the 25yr in the first place.

Enthusiast

Well, I did not get what I wanted today so I'm holding the bottle for now.
    The first spot did not come close. At the 2nd spot I was surprised to see a PVW 23 on their shelf.....for $900!!!! Didn't even bother talking trade, but perhaps I can try and sell it to them closer to Xmas.
    I'm thinking I may just hold it, or say f#$k it and make it part of my wheater flight at my Xmas party tasting event. It's a 2004 bottling.
    Cheers!

Enthusiast

Not much of a scotch drinker but if someone wants to trade me a Macallan 25 for a PVW23 -- I'd do it!
    tl; dnr

Guru

Lots of good suggestions re: trade value, etc. But the more important issue is this: What kind of jackass would even think of paying $360 for a bottle of VWFRR? That's insane! Me, I'd go with Josh's suggestion of a few cases of VOB and maybe even throw in a hooker. Now that would be a good deal for a bottle of PVW23!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    At the 2nd spot I was surprised to see a PVW 23 on their shelf.....for $900!!!!
    Please email the name of that place to the Van Winkles, they are trying to crack down on this. In fact, I encourage you to post the name of the place so we can bombard it with negative Yelp reviews about their price gouging.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Please email the name of that place to the Van Winkles, they are trying to crack down on this. In fact, I encourage you to post the name of the place so we can bombard it with negative Yelp reviews about their price gouging.
    I already sent them a Facebook message.
    He had the bottle behind the counter, so I could not make out the tag. When I asked how much it was, he said with a smile "It's not for sale." Then said "it's priced at $900, but if you have cash we can work a better deal." He then proceeded to tell me he had a friend at another San Diego area store with it priced at $1300, explaining that his friend does not care if he sells it, juts that it looks good on our shelves.