Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Hypothetical PVW 23 trade

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post
    100% true. Commercial retailers must buy from a distributor and only distributors that have registered in their state. If owned a liquor store in NJ, I couldn't bypass my state's distributor of VW and place an order with the cheaper NY distributor.

Definitely a local law, if true. In PA and in fact many stores in DE and NJ, will accept for returns any unopened bottles of alcohol.
    Right...also in Illinois you can return unopened bottles of alcohol from the store you bought, if that is the store's policy. I know that Binny's allows this but expect other stores here may not. And of course the first part that soonami states is absolutely true based on three tier. Though back in the day, I came across a few independent store operators that were willing to sell me items they certainly didn't acquire from a distributor and more like somebody's basement. Of course I turned them down .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    PVW 23?

I offer the following:
    Wow, moving fast even for wingnuts running Zimbabwe! When I was last there in about 2009 the biggest bill was only ten billion or so.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

In Massachusetts, most liquor stores will accept returns of unopened bottles, within reason. Most bottles these days have a decent tamper-proof seal.

I'm sure they can refuse a return (bringing back that bottle of 25-year-old scotch because the wife didn't approve probably won't work unless you have a long and well-established relationship with the store).

Catering and party hosting depends on buying extra bottles for back-up and returning them, though this usually involves commodity type stock (bottom- and mid-shelf bottles). Stores I've used for this won't take back wine or beer if chilled.

I'm also sure that even with three-tier system, stock has occasionally appeared in stores that didn't come through the official distribution channel.

Connoisseur

ridiculous
    just picked up a FRR for $70 & a 23 for $270--the way it should be
    yeah, I'm bragging
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Advanced Taster

That's what I was thinking...trade for the 5 JPS' and re-trade. That way you're still getting SW, but more of it

Advanced Taster

Wanted to piggyback this thread if possible. another hypothetical--how about trading a Lot B for a 4R SmB LE 2012? worth a try?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    Wanted to piggyback this thread if possible. another hypothetical--how about trading a Lot B for a 4R SmB LE 2012? worth a try?
    I'd make that trade all day long

Lot B is $50 around here, 4R SmB LE is $80ish

Virtuoso

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. The LE2012 is going to be "the one that got away" for me this year. Just can't seem to find one anywhere.

Enthusiast

Hypothetical PVW 23 trade

Hell yes. Lot B is released every 6 months. 4R LE only once - ever.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Hell yes. Lot B is released every 6 months. 4R LE only once - ever.
    Well, it will only be released once next year since VW announced the move to only one release a year. still, point taken.

just not sure why a store would go for it unless they are price gouging the VW in which case they're probably gouging FR too, or they will next year.