Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

What's the deal with Lot B???

So I went by to get my 1 allocated bottle of Pappy 15, and the clerk asked me...."do you want any of the Pappy 12 year old?". Since I had never heard of this, I said sure. He produced two bottles of Lot B. Having never tried it, I took the plunge. Its excellent stuff IMHO! Better than ORVW 90 for sure, and more refined and better integrated in the char/sweetness balance to my palate than Weller 12. But since I've only seen it mentioned around here a couple of times next to the Weller's, Pappys, and ORVW's, I have to ask the question...what sort of niche are they trying to fill with this product? Is this supposed to be some sort of intermediate product between the ORVW and Pappy markets?

The shop I was in just happened to have these available among their reserved van Winkle products. The clerk said that no one had reserved these, and I just happened to be there at the right place and right time. I think this stuff is great, just besting Weller 12 by a whisker as my favorite wheater that isn't a Pappy 15 or JPS18. But is the point of this product to be some intermediate range between ORVW and Pappy? Given the price (nearly $50), it isn't that much better than the Weller 12 to justify being twice the price, IMHO.

What sayest thou?

Enthusiast

Re: What's the deal with Lot B???

In my opinion Lot B is overpriced Weller 12. They both are the exact same recipe, same distillery, same barrels, same warehouses, etc. The only difference is that Julian gets first pick of the barrels for what goes into Lot B vs Weller 12. The difference in taste is not worth the premium Lot B carries in my mind. I passed on Lot B this year at $39.99. The same store had Liters of Weller 12 for $22. That was a no brainer for me. I saw Lot B as high as $75 which is absurd given Weller 12 is available in the marketplace. I have empty Lot B bottles to pour my weller 12 into if the fancy VW label makes me feel more fuzzy inside.

All of this being said, I would be extremely surprised if BT didn't drop the Weller 12 label since they can make so much more money selling it to the Pappy chasers under the Van Winkle label.

Connoisseur

Out of the last two that i had, the first was stellar, a massive balck cherry bomb. Intense.

The second was "meh"........

It's kind of the illegitimate stepchild of the line filling in extra space. And I'm not sure anybody puts in a request for it. More of a consolation prize for not getting any of the others.

That being said, as I mention in a earlier thread, I might throw down for one if they stick around. But with a $50 spread between it and Weller 12yr, Weller definately has the edge. Three to one, those are some good odds.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    In my opinion Lot B is overpriced Weller 12. They both are the exact same recipe, same distillery, same barrels, same warehouses, etc. The only difference is that Julian gets first pick of the barrels for what goes into Lot B vs Weller 12. The difference in taste is not worth the premium Lot B carries in my mind. I passed on Lot B this year at $39.99. The same store had Liters of Weller 12 for $22.
    Wow, as Lot B is my hands-down favourite Van Winkle, that makes me want to spring for shipping a case of Weller Downunder!

Virtuoso

I'm also a big fan of the Lot b and have a few in the bunker but i'm not sure I'd buy it at current prices.
    When it was $35 or so, I always had a bottle open.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

What's the deal with Lot B???

I agree, I would trade my PVW 20 for a few Lot Bs anytime... It is hands down my favorite bourbon

Guru

Lot B is a one of my favorite pours. However, some don't like the low proof. I enjoy lower proof good bourbon.

Connoisseur

Hmm... Lotta love for it, and I get that, when its good, it's great.

But do you you love or like it at the new price point??

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

I am also glad I have quite a few of these bunkered as pricing continues to rise.I do love W12 but feel the honey barrels selected for Lot B makes all the difference,that being said the last ones I picked up were $39.99.FWIW,this bottling seems to out last all other VW selections on the shelf in my area.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I am also glad I have quite a few of these bunkered as pricing continues to rise.I do love W12 but feel the honey barrels selected for Lot B makes all the difference,that being said the last ones I picked up were $39.99.FWIW,this bottling seems to out last all other VW selections on the shelf in my area.
    My sentiments exactly. I thoroughly enjoy Weller 12 but feel that Lot B gives me a bit more for my money. When I was bunkering them a few years back my price was $35-$40. At $50-ish I start to balk at the price and look further down the shelf. That isn't to say that Lot B isn't worth $50, but I've had so much of it that I prefer to spend my money on things I haven't tried or very infrequently buy.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet