Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barton

Guru

Re: Barton

It's such an odd system Jim, of the three major stores in our small college town only one gets Barton and Kentucky Gentleman, but all three carry the liqueurs.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Such pessimism! Sazerac is taking its time with Barton, but they've upgraded the packaging of VOB and increased distribution of 1792, so they're not standing still nor moving backwards. They're running the two distilleries more-or-less separately. Both have excess production capacity. They felt Barton was over-producing so they have cut back, but after the initial hiatus, they've been firing the place up for at least a couple months each season. Barton is not being mothballed.

As to why their line is mostly bottom shelf, that's just a carryover from the previous ownership. Barton was always a commodity producer. No major brands, lots of cheap 'well' brands. That was just the nature of their business.

Personally, I'd like to see a Barton rye.

My little liquor store here in town started carring 1792 I didn't think Iowa carried any thing from from Barton
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

We'd love to see something from them in Australia.... even a low shelf product like Ten High. As it stands, they're the only major distillery without a (known) product on our market.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Such pessimism! Sazerac is taking its time with Barton, but they've upgraded the packaging of VOB and increased distribution of 1792, so they're not standing still nor moving backwards. They're running the two distilleries more-or-less separately. Both have excess production capacity. They felt Barton was over-producing so they have cut back, but after the initial hiatus, they've been firing the place up for at least a couple months each season. Barton is not being mothballed.

As to why their line is mostly bottom shelf, that's just a carryover from the previous ownership. Barton was always a commodity producer. No major brands, lots of cheap 'well' brands. That was just the nature of their business.

Personally, I'd like to see a Barton rye.
    I love it when we get factual facts around here...Thanks Chuck!
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

I'm not afraid to reach a little lower on the shelf for some Barton goodness. Tom Moore BIB, VOB BIB, even the 86, and especially Fleischmann's Rye are consumed here with no problems or regrets. Some days I feel a little dirty, enjoying these brands as much as I do when others post about PHC and the BTAC. And yes, I do chase the higher stuff, but my enthusiasm is waning for those alphabet releases, and I find myself grabbing 4R and Barton more and more.

Thanks for the updates on Barton Chuck, and it makes sense they are the well brand maker. Their only higher end product is 1792.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

I've hosted a few tastings and Barton does right well.

Advanced Taster

Their Tom Moore BIB is bottom shelf but not half bad for the price

Advanced Taster

I really enjoy both VOB BIB and 1792, but have never come across Tom Moore BIB in California. Is it basically younger VOB BIB? And is it significantly cheaper than VOB? That's hard to imagine.

Disciple

Barton

Tom Moore is only available in a couple states, you won't be able to find it in CA. For the same reason, I can't give you any tasting notes but it is the same mashbill as VOB.
    Jim