Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barton

Disciple

Re: Barton

1792 is one of my absolute favorite values. I don't think there's a reason for them to make a high shelf offering, since their sisters in Frankfort will take care of that. I just hope they keep doing what they do, and do a lot of it.

Virtuoso

I loves me some VOB BIB and stock up on it whenever we go to KY. Not a huge fan of 1792 but it's not bad. Would like to see Sazerac do some more with the brand, but if they just don't d/c the BIB I'll be fine.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

speaking of KY Gentleman, is it available anywhere as a straight anymore? I had some in the 90's and it has been my thinking that 1792 is straight KY Gentleman, and there is no more straight, only the blend..

Connoisseur

My thoughts on Barton:

1. There needs to be bigger distribution of VOB BIB. I can't get it anywhere but would really love to have a bottle!
    2. Hopefully the process and yeast remain separate. I am not a fan of most Buffalo Trace products- seems like their yeast flavor?? Barton is like liquid heaven.
    3. 1792 is excellent. Probably one of my top 10 bourbons. It makes no apologies and is a full-flavored bourbon for its price. Even Colonel Lee at 80pf is decent for cheap stuff.
    4. Barton rye? Yes please!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

I picked up a bottle of VOB BIB while I was in Chicago a few weeks ago. I have shared it with some friends over the past couple of weeks and all of us felt that it held it's own along side bottles that cost two to three times as much. I wish it was available at my local stores and the next time I have a chance I will pick up more than one bottle.
    Jim

Put me in the bucket of people who thinks Barton makes Sazerac's best bourbon. VOB is a great product at a great price. 1792 is even better, as I find it to be more complex and less hot. Barton's yeast imparts a superior flavor to that seen in BT products.

Guru

I have always liked the Barton flavor profile and when there's a choice select the 100 proof.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    Put me in the bucket of people who thinks Barton makes Sazerac's best bourbon. VOB is a great product at a great price. 1792 is even better, as I find it to be more complex and less hot. Barton's yeast imparts a superior flavor to that seen in BT products.
    I am not sure it is the yeast. I have been told that they do not double at barton. Which would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I am not sure it is the yeast. I have been told that they do not double at barton. Which would explain a lot.
    They never showed us at Barton what yeast they used. BT uses Red Star.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Red Star produces yeast for BT under contract, using BT's proprietary yeast strain. Barton (and other distilleries) may very well receive yeast from Red Star as well, just using different strains.