Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Barton

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Barton

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I am not sure it is the yeast. I have been told that they do not double at barton. Which would explain a lot.
    A group from SB took a tour of Barton about 5 years ago, more or less. We went thru the distillation control room and the operator said (I will paraphrase)...."While we have a doubler on the column, we usually don't use it". Really.....why not? "With our new control systems, we can make a good tasting clean product without it".
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Connoisseur

That's great info! I also love the barton flavor profile, usually, and their price point doesn't hurt any either. Especially nice when you have a little cold and your taste buds are screwed up, the flavor punches through.

I did have one bottle of VOB BIB that got too banana for my tastes though.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post

I did have one bottle of VOB BIB that got too banana for my tastes though.
    The current Sazerac bottled and distributed BIB has little to none of that banana taste in my...oops . I assume they would still be bottling Constellation distilled product which had a lot of it but must be doing a better job of batching or filtering or something.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

That's good news. I have one unopened with a DSP-KY-113 bottling statement. I would think that would be new product. I'm sure I will be tempted before Christmas to pop it open, but getting oral surgery tomorrow so will be a week or so.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

Randy it's my understanding Barton whisky came off the beer still at 125 proof and into a copper doubler where it increased to 135 proof, to then be cut back to barreling proof of 125, but my information is at least 20 years old. Wonder when they stopped using the doubler.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    A group from SB took a tour of Barton about 5 years ago, more or less. We went thru the distillation control room and the operator said (I will paraphrase)...."While we have a doubler on the column, we usually don't use it". Really.....why not? "With our new control systems, we can make a good tasting clean product without it".
    I was told by a person who knows, and I have an old diagram of the barton plant that has no doubler in it. Now, here is my thoughts, and I am inending on provong it myself in a few months. You do not need to double technically speaking. Those columns are designed in such away that nothing harmful or relly bad tasting gets into the product. Depends on your school of thought. Barton whiskey has a certin "bite" to it. Not bad in my opinion, in fact I like it. Smoothness is not important to me as long as there is enough body in the whiskey to offset it. Which barton has. There are 3 ways to double. If you condense and send it to a seperate pot and redistill. This takes out a ton of taste. You continuos doubler which takes out some taste but not as much as the fist way I mentioned, or you can thump, which tends to leave a lot of taste in. Or, you cannot double and leave a lot of taste in. Which is why I think barton makes such a flavorful product. I have tatsed whiskey straight off the column and after the doubler. I prefer the taste right off the column. My theory has always been if you leave more congeners in the white dog, you have more stuff for the barrel to make flavor from. Which is one thing holing a lot of micros back. Too clean a white dog.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Randy it's my understanding Barton whisky came off the beer still at 125 proof and into a copper doubler where it increased to 135 proof, to then be cut back to barreling proof of 125, but my information is at least 20 years old. Wonder when they stopped using the doubler.
    On our tour we first saw the column and then the control room. They had left the older analog controllers mounted on the control board but were currently running the column off of a desk top computer. Anyway, the older fella giving us this part of the tour was clear that he normally didn't run the doubler as the newer contol system made great whiskey without it. But at that time there was a doubler/thumper installed. On further reflection, it was longer than 5 years ago when we took this tour....probably closer to 7 years and there were about 15 SB'ers there. They also took us to rickhouse "Z" (IIRC) and let me thief a liter bottle of barrel proof 1792 for the Gazebo table.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    They also took us to rickhouse "Z" (IIRC) and let me thief a liter bottle of barrel proof 1792 for the Gazebo table.
    Now that would be some Barton I would love to try. I bet it was

Thanks for the information Randy.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    I was told by a person who knows, and I have an old diagram of the barton plant that has no doubler in it. Now, here is my thoughts, and I am inending on provong it myself in a few months. You do not need to double technically speaking. Those columns are designed in such away that nothing harmful or relly bad tasting gets into the product. Depends on your school of thought. Barton whiskey has a certin "bite" to it. Not bad in my opinion, in fact I like it. Smoothness is not important to me as long as there is enough body in the whiskey to offset it. Which barton has. There are 3 ways to double. If you condense and send it to a seperate pot and redistill. This takes out a ton of taste. You continuos doubler which takes out some taste but not as much as the fist way I mentioned, or you can thump, which tends to leave a lot of taste in. Or, you cannot double and leave a lot of taste in. Which is why I think barton makes such a flavorful product. I have tatsed whiskey straight off the column and after the doubler. I prefer the taste right off the column. My theory has always been if you leave more congeners in the white dog, you have more stuff for the barrel to make flavor from. Which is one thing holing a lot of micros back. Too clean a white dog.
    Might explain why VOB gives me a headache, too. For whatever reason I'm sensitive to more congeneric whiskeys (nothing an aspirin won't cure) and I was a little surprised by VOB in that regard.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Barton has a doubler and the official word regarding its use is that they use it when they need to. What determines if they will double or not is a detail we probably won't get out of them. Doubling and gone in and out of fashion in the business but now it's largely in, so I suspect that for their bourbons, especially their better ones, they double. For something destined to go into a blend, for example, it may not be necessary. Doubling isn't necessary for proof. Distillers say it 'polishes' the spirit, removing some of the more stubborn unpleasant cogeners.