Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Armagnac recommendations?

I have been interested in Armagnac for awhile and Ralfy's recent reviews have brought it to mind again.

This article provides some general info - http://nymag.com/restaurants/article...r/armagnac.htm

Can anyone recommend a "reasonable" i.e. $35-60 bottle of Armagnac?

For example, Binnys lists:
    Delord Napoleon 10 Year Old Armagnac 34.99
    Cerbois VSOP Armagnac 49.99
    Marie Duffau Hors d'Age Armagnac 49.99
    Delord 25 Year Old Armagnac 69.99

Calvados is another new to me spirit....any similar recommondations?

Virtuoso

Re: Armagnac recommendations?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I have been interested in Armagnac for awhile and Ralfy's recent reviews have brought it to mind again.

This article provides some general info - http://nymag.com/restaurants/article...r/armagnac.htm

Can anyone recommend a "reasonable" i.e. $35-60 bottle of Armagnac?

For example, Binnys lists:
    Delord Napoleon 10 Year Old Armagnac 34.99
    Cerbois VSOP Armagnac 49.99
    Marie Duffau Hors d'Age Armagnac 49.99
    Delord 25 Year Old Armagnac 69.99

Calvados is another new to me spirit....any similar recommondations?
    I recently participated in a blind Cognac tasting of nine expressions which ranged in price from $35-$225. At the end was a curveball which was "Alambic" Domaine D'Ognoas BAS-ARMAGNAC - 1985 Special Release. This Armagnac won the tasting event with the vast majority of tasters agreeing they would buy a bottle of this over any of the Cognacs. Weighing in at $105/per bottle, it's not within your price parameters but something you may want to consider. A wonderful spirit indeed.

Go Cubs!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I looked up some of Ralfy's but they may not be widely available and or very $$$.

Connoisseur

I think what you will find is, unlike Bourbon but like Scotch, Armagnac requires A LOT of time in wood - some would say it needs even more time than Cognac. Therefore, the "good stuff" will be >15 years of age and relatively expensive. The good news is that as the NY mag article points out, due to low demand, it is now well priced compared to Scotch of similar age.

Another point to consider is that Cognac and Armagnac producers are allowed to use boise (basically a concentrated wood syrup) and coloring as additives. VO, Napoleon, and VSOP expressions are all likely to contain these additives. XO, hors d'age, and vintage products may also contain them but it is less likely - especially for Armagnac.

Armagnac is also a much more artisanal product compared to Cognac and thus the very low production compared to Cognac (by a factor 1 to 10 iirc) contributes to relatively high prices. Note Armagnac does not have anything like the big 4 Cognac brands (Hennessy, Courvoisier, Remy Martin, and Martell) and so you are not likely to find "bottom shelf" pricing.

So, Armagnac is considered the more flavorful product, it generaly requires more age than Cognac, it is produced in lower quantities and very little of it is exported. Therefore, it will be difficult to find very good examples for under $60.

Virtuoso

I think Armagnac appeals more to bourbon drinkers than Cognac as it tends to be less sweet and a bit spicy. I liked Marie Duffau a lot, but I don't think I've tried the others on your list.

Virtuoso

The Delord 25 yr is a bargain and a very good pour. Available from several sources on line.

I would also recommend the Chateau De Pellehaut 1987 - The single barrel pick from K&L for about $75 - Their description on their site is spot on. This is a whiskey lovers Armagnac.

The Domain de Lassaubatju 1989 also from K&L is softer and fruitier and has a more Cognac like character with less finish if your taste is inclined in that direction.

Advanced Taster

Samalens Armagnac VSOP (France) is excellent and is usually ~$50.

Guru

Thank you for the suggestions!

Disciple

I'm afraid I've found most $50ish Armagnacs to be rather one-demensional. The thing about Armagnac, IMHO, is that you get what you pay for, and if you want the good stuff, you've gotta go north of $100. I've loved some of Darroze's vintage-dated expressions that I've been lucky enough to taste, but they cost an arm and a leg.