Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Armagnac recommendations?

I remain a huge fan of the alambic brandies coming of Germains Robins in California.

Guru

Thanks Sailor, I like Tallahassee, always stop there because it's the starting point in Florida to get a decent Cuban sandwich.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments sailor. I don't think there's anything bad about the bottle I have, I think it's just me not being very used to brandies. I've heard cognac is generally sweeter, so I wonder if I might like that more. I tend to prefer sweeter whiskeys as well. I drink a lot of high proof whiskeys, and I'm sure that's why I'm wishing this was more concentrated. Are there many options for cognac/armagnac/calvados around 100 proof and higher? Doesn't seem like it.

These were just my first impression of the armagnac as a complete noob. I'll go back to it over the next few weeks to see how my reactions change. That's part of the fun of trying a new variety of spirit.

Guru

The options for finding higher than 80 proof Cognac can be counted on less than one finger.

Virtuoso

Barrel proof for Cognac and Armagnac is called "Brut de Fut". It isn't really that unusual in France but because this market is dominated by the Big Houses and their blends it isn't so common here.

Daniel Bouju Royal and Tres Vieux Cognac are great examples. Both are dry to dryish but are in my estimation excellent pours. YMMV.

Germain Robin in California makes wonderful Brandy and should be more easily found than the more obscure French bottlings. They make no attempt to mimic whiskey (with the possible exception of their Havana release) but are making great product with their own priorities. Their "Ano Domini" is something close to magic in a bottle. Possibly one of the finest pours I have experienced to date.

Disciple

Pierre Ferrand "1840" Cognac is 90 proof. Came out in the last year or so.

And I'll also chime in for Germain Robin. Their XO is superior to almost any Cognac I've ever tried.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Pierre Ferrand "1840" Cognac is 90 proof. Came out in the last year or so.

And I'll also chime in for Germain Robin. Their XO is superior to almost any Cognac I've ever tried.
    The 1840 was developed by Ferrand in consultation with David Wondrich with cocktail mixing in mind. Earlier pre phyloxera cognacs that would have been used in the 1800's were reportedly more "bold" in flavor and higher proof. That said I have never tried it on its own. I need to do that!

Louis Royer “Force 53″ cognac is another high proof cognac that shows up with some regularity in cocktails. Never tried that one.

Continue to hear good things about Germaine Robin but since most of my cognac drinking is in cocktails I have never tried it. Cognac/armagnac/brandy is another spirit category I need to explore further this year according to Sku!

Going back to armagnac I noticed that the most recent Imbibe magazine edition gave Castarède Sélection Armagnac a recommendation as a good but inexpensive "starter" armagnac. It is listed on TPS but of course it is currently out of stock.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I remember Germain Robin, picked up a bottle when I was in San Diego some years ago. Makes me wish some of our micros would turn their attention to brandys and Eau de Vies rather than young whiskys.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I remember Germain Robin, picked up a bottle when I was in San Diego some years ago. Makes me wish some of our micros would turn their attention to brandys and Eau de Vies rather than young whiskys.
    Germain Robin has been filling barrels for over 20 years, so they have a wealth of old stock to blend. If a new micro focused on Brandy, they'd still need to age the stuff. I'd rather the micros keep filling barrels and give them time.

And Eau de Vie does not pay the bills.

Guru

No, Eau de Vie doesn't, MGPI does.