Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: K&L Fear Tactics?

With all the hooplah, I went out to my local store in NYC and bought a Weller 12 to try for the first time ($19 pretax) this past Saturday.

My response to a potential shortage: who cares? Weller 12 (this guy's opinion only) is average at best. I'd have no problem using it to mix cocktails but probably wouldn't sip it neat anytime in the future. I ended up giving it to my gf for future baking projects - I caught her once using Lot B for a sweet potato pie!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    I caught her once using Lot B for a sweet potato pie!
    And she's still your gf? that's a deal breaker for me.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    And she's still your gf? that's a deal breaker for me.
    I think that's way better than catching your gf drinking all your whiskey AND no pie!

Enthusiast

I think that's way better than catching your gf drinking all your whiskey AND no pie!
    you misunderstood, I don't care about the whiskey, she can have all she wants, I just hate sweet potatoes.

Enthusiast

I don't know about other states, but I can tell you that Weller 12 is definitely not available for purchase by retail stores through their distributors in Kentucky at the present time. The distributor I know has no time table for when it will become available again. It was last distributed in the fall on allocation. My local stores ordered 10 cases, received 3. Some very large stores (i.e. Liquor Barn) may still have some in inventory, but no new supply is available as of now.

Advanced Taster

People should be directing their searches for Weller 12 here :
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...nd-a-Bottle-of

$19 in NYC!

Novice

My response to a potential shortage: who cares? Weller 12 (this guy's opinion only) is average at best.
    Same here, but, meh, whatever. To each his own. This whole thread is one giant head-scratcher.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

One highly flawed premise seems to be driving this, which is that 'everybody' now knows that Lot B and Weller 12 are virtually the same juice, and therefore all of the Van Winkle crazies are going to re-aim their craziness at Weller 12. This premise is flawed because the Van Winkle crazies are also ignorant. They don't know anything about anything and even if they learn something about Weller 12 being close to Lot B, they wouldn't care because it doesn't say 'Van Winkle' on the label and that's all their small and distracted brains can handle. "Must ---- buy ---- Van Winkle."

The whole point of being a knowledgable bourbon consumer, which is the whole point of straightbourbon.com, is that you can walk into a store anywhere and at anytime and if they have any kind of bourbon selection, you can walk out with one or more bottles that you know you'll enjoy, and maybe even a good value or two.

But I also agree that SB.com would be less fun if people didn't go over the top here sometimes.

Guru

We all go a little mad sometimes.

Guru

My response to a potential shortage: who cares? Weller 12 (this guy's opinion only) is average at best.
    That's only your opinion? Glad to hear it. I was about to announce that my opinion that Lot B is overpriced and overrated and that Weller 12 was just as good or better at a much lower price had changed until I saw your disclaimer. Thanks, pal.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog