Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: K&L Fear Tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That's only your opinion? Glad to hear it. I was about to announce that my opinion that Lot B is overpriced and overrated and that Weller 12 was just as good or better at a much lower price had changed until I saw your disclaimer. Thanks, pal.
    All that anger/sarcasm over $30-40? Peasant

Advanced Taster

Whoa..."Peasant?"

Could we maybe tone down the SES tension a little? I mean, I know that this site kind of exists to perpetuate a 'whose 750ml d--k is more expensive?' contest, but "Peasant" seems a little over the line.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

Back to the topic:

On some level, I sympathize with savagehenry's reaction, but overall I would concur that this particular case of potential-whiskey-shortage-hyping is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

First of all, it is obvious that whiskey salesman David's motives are not snow white innocent. From what I have read - and I do catch up on his KL journal occasionally - David is earnestly devoted to customer service and is accordingly a great source of genuine inside information. But that customer service and inside information necessarily involves self-interested salesmanship, and this message feels like an example of the latter (as it did to savagehenry). It has already been pointed out that the basis for a Lot B driven shortage of Weller 12 is shaky at best, and the coincidence of a purchase of 200 Weller 12's and this message doesn't make me feel any better. While probably not directly concerned about money or even moving his product, David is at least clearly trying to make KL look good. ('Hey guys, we are the kind of smart place that sees your needs coming before you even know that you have them. This is a time of bitter whiskey shortages, and KL is there to guide you through the wilderness.' etc.)

But really, if there is a crime here, it is obviously a small, small one from generally reliable people, their totally understandable self-interest notwithstanding. This was a message sent to a circle of already loyal KL customers about a product that KL was going to sell easily and was not going to make much money on. If the real point of the message was a commercial to confirm KL's image as a consumer advocate in a harsh market, then they were preaching to the choir anyway. There was no moment where David schemed this up in some dimly lit KL backroom, villainously twisting his handlebar mustache.

But still, I feel you savagehenry. This whiskey market works in an environment of shortage-hyping, and sometime it feels like someone should be blamed for it.
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 12-04-2012 at 00:00.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    Peasant
    OK, that's officially the weirdest insult I've ever received online.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Josh,

The "peasant" comment was way out of bounds, certainly. However, it was your sarcastic belittling of Rockefeller's opinion that precipitated it. He even prefaced his comment that Weller 12 is mediocre by saying that it was his opinion only. I have no idea why you would have been offended by that and reply in such an unwarranted manner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Dan View Post
    Josh,

The "peasant" comment was way out of bounds, certainly. However, it was your sarcastic belittling of Rockefeller's opinion that precipitated it. He even prefaced his comment that Weller 12 is mediocre by saying that it was his opinion only. I have no idea why you would have been offended by that and reply in such an unwarranted manner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I thought the peasant remark was funny actually.

You miss my point. I was belittling his felt need to place a disclaimer after his opinion. I find the practice annoying.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I thought the peasant remark was funny actually.

You miss my point. I was belittling his felt need to place a disclaimer after his opinion. I find the practice annoying.
    <sarcasm> Maybe he meant to type pedant. </sarcasm>

Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    <sarcasm> Maybe he meant to type pedant. </sarcasm>

That would make more sense.

Wait, are you being sarcasctic? I can't tell.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

My opinion is that you are all nuts.

Thank you.

Advanced Taster

No no no. It's pretty clear that I called him a "peasant" because he is a simple mid-western farmer who can only afford to drink Weller 12 and has to save Lot B for special occasions. When a fancy yankee (who uses PHC6 to scrub out stubborn dish stains) turns their nose at that top-shelf Weller 12, he goes on the attack!