Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

Once again something different, and also once again, a suggestion from a fellow member. McLain & Kyne has a turn this month with Jefferson's Presidential Select. Be it the JPS 17 or JPS 18, let's here your comments. Yeah I know there's been quite a bit of discussion about both lately, but what can I say?

I've only had the JPS 17 myself, and it's been a while, so my comments will be short and sweet again. I thought it was pretty good for the most part. I say for the most part because while I thought it was good, I don't think that the price for it was justified. I know a few others have felt the same. Good, but not $80 good. FWIW, there's a store near me that still has a couple of bottles of the 17 year old from batch 1 or 2 that have been sitting on the shelf for a long time marked at $84.

Cheers, Happy Posting, and Happy Holidays!
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

I've had three experiences with the JPSs:

1. Tried the 17 year in a flight with 2010 WLW and an enormous number of 17-18 year old Willett wheaters. The JPS17 was the weakest and least flavorful, though that was kind of expected, since it was about 15% less ABV than the others.

2. Tried an 18 year (don't know the batch number) with a few others, including an 8 year Willett wheater, EC18, Bernheim wheat, and one other that I can't remember. I recall it being a bit thin on the palate and lacking much flavor.

3. Bought a single barrel offering from DUNY. It tasted like moldy wood. I vatted it with OWA107, which worked well as a flask whiskey...

Apprentice

JPS-17 is high on the list for me. I've had batch 1, 3 and 7 and all are excellent. I've had more batch 7 since it was readily available to me. I tasted JPS-18 (don't know the batch) which was good, but seemed older: more wood - yes, but there was a musty taste too. I understand there are some very good 18 year olds, I just haven't had a chance to sample one I like better than the 17 year batch 7. More experience with 17 year makes me more confident purchasing 17. Several are in the bunker bought in the $70-80 range, which I think was a fair price. After seeing the new VW prices, JPS seems like an even better value - currently $80-85 for 17-18 year old S-W juice, vs. $130 retail for 20 year old S-W juice (if you can get it for that price). Pappy 20 seems better than JPS-17(18), but I've never had both open at the same time for a side by side comparison. I'm happy to have several JPS-17 for the future (and a Pappy 20 too).
    Rob
    Last edited by RobP_n_TN; 12-02-2012 at 17:34.

Enthusiast

Our porch group has been blessed with Jefferson. We just returned in October from Bardstown where the Barrel Selection Team had the pleasure of sitting withTrey Zoeller for a tasting and ultimate selection of a barrel of 21 year old that he shared. We had that one at 140+ proof and we're anxious for the arrival.

This weekend we had planned to taste the Ocean but all who participated in the purchase couldn't attend so we opted to try three separate Presidential Select offerings. Our retailer just uncovered some 500 bottles in his warehouse and they are labeled D-8, D42 and D-fifty-something. Each are labeled Single Barrel, Very Small Batch. They are 18 year old non chill filtered. The D-8 that I am looking at (and sampling again) is 94 proof. We lined up the three offerings and the nose on each was darn near identical. One would seem a bit more oaky on first nose but as they opened up it was impossible to note any significant difference between the three. I'd be curious to know what the D designations mean. On tasting, the similarity was also there. Having selected barrels side-by-side, there is always a difference between barrels, even from the same distillation. So, I'm let to think the D-designation is from the same small batch. This is very fine bourbon. We're convinced it's Stitzel Weller juice.

The 94 proof is very drinkable neat and it's candy on ice. I get an oaky maple coating that hangs in there with a spicy cinamon spiciness. It's close to smoky as in oak wood smoked pork. The finish is long and comfortable. These are priced at $90 .. a bit pricy .. but I can't not have this one on my shelf. Knowing that this juice is becoming scarce and that there are now 497 bottles left .. I just might bunker a few of these. It won't be around for long. If someone can clarify the difference in batch numbers and these labeled as D-8, etc., I'd like to know.

Advanced Taster

These are among my favorite whiskeys of all time. I preferred the 17 and 18 year to the Pappy 15 in a bar comparison, and the Pappy 20 was a tie with the Jeffersons. I'm looking forward to comparing these to my own bottle of Pappy 15 I picked up last week. We'll post results later next week.

I only have personal bottles of the 18 year batches 9, 16, 17, and 28. In this very small sample, for my palate, the oak goes up with the number. I like the sweetness-oak interplay in some of my favorite whiskeys, but batch 28 was certainly very high on the oak. I like it...it is different from the others, but I can see how some folks would be turned off by it. The others I have don't have nearly as much oak influence.

Disciple

I actually like the JPS and have had quite a few bottles,I will say that inconsistency is an issue.I have had both the 17 and 18 variations of this label,I tend to lean towards the 17 though in my personal opinion I will pick an early batch of the 17 over the latter 18's every time.I have also noticed the damp/musty,overly woody notes in the latter batches of the 18's while some of the early 17's are just rich great pours of which I wish I could find more of.I would say a batch of 1-4 in the 17's and batches into the mid teens in the 18's seem to be the sweet spot for these I wouldn't turn my nose up to any of them though.Ultra-aged wheated juice is becoming vapor ware,is this the next big thing who knows?I would take a JPS over a ER17 most any day,so as far as value goes you decide.Just my two cents.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

Here's what I want to know, i.e. really want to know:

Over the last 6 months, I've seen a lot of 20s+ batch numbers for the 18 at Chicago area Binny's stores. Now I'm seeing much lower batch numbers.

So are the batch numbers a joke or is Binny's taking on stock that didn't sell elsewhere? I would assume the batch #s are sequential ... clearly many of these are well past 18 years in truth ... but curious about these new ones turning up of late. I tend to think the lower batch #s on the 18s are better, personally. I've had a number of great single digit batch # 18s, and some really disappointing ones in the late teens and early 20s.

Advanced Taster

BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

All of the 17 year versions I have picked up were from Batch 7, and all were found in TN. I prefer the 17yr to the 18yr, but both are excellent bourbons. However, my only experience with the 18 year is with Batch 13. These bourbons have such an excellent aroma and flavor.

I have noticed that with all of the Liquor Barn private selection JPS 18 bottles, the front labels only state that they were specially selected from a certain small batch. None of these state anything about being distilled in 1991 and aged in Stitzel-Weller barrels. Are these private selections still from the same "discovered" SW stocks?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I've only owned a bottle of the 17yr, that I purchased soon after it was released. I've tasted multiple bottles of the 17 and 18 yr since, both regular retail and PB. I have to admit, I have really never understood the hoopla over this bottling, outside of the initial furor of "lost S-W barrels". I'm no Pappyphile, but I find that none of the iterations of the Jefferson's equals even the most tame Pappy 15. Regardless of the provenance of either. It's just an "OK" whiskey, IMO. Nice package that does look good on the bar, but that's about it. There are so many other whiskies that I want to spend that kind of money on. I would even go as far as saying that IMHO, this is the most overrated, overhyped, overdiscussed, overcoveted bourbon on this Board.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

I happen to like the JRPS whiskies. I do believe that the lower batch numbers were better (7 and under). That said, I believe woodiness increases with batch number after number 7. I do not object to woodiness as long as the whiskey remains in balance. I have bunkered a bunch of these but most have low batch numbers.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"