Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    . and the porch in between the two is a cigar porch .. where we regularly meet up for a good taste experience. )
    I've been to the "porch". Highly recommended. And entertaining I might add. I'm very jealous Georgia laws don't allow this.

Re: JPS or 4RSmBLEd: the only correct answer, in the true SB spirit, is to BUY BOTH. Very different whiskies, and both are excellent. If you can only buy one, buy the 4RSmBLEd IMO.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    As I read threads like this one ... the old "which one should I get" and "which batch"? etc, etc ... I am ever so thankful for our local purveyor. First of all the liquor store carries one of the finest portfolios of bourbon that you will find anywhere .. that's anywhere. Secondly, they carry more single barrel selections than anyone I'm aware of. (There are over 25 on the shelf as I speak and more on the way in.) .. Thirdly, they have a lounge next door where you can go TRY before you buy. Yesterday, for example, I was interested in possible buying the last bottle of Bernheim he had on the shelf. I went to the bar and tried it. And ... it's still on the shelf! Some folks around here take it for granted .. but the more bourbon folk I meet .. the more I appreciate what we have. OH .. and the porch in between the two is a cigar porch .. where we regularly meet up for a good taste experience. And, finally - I've been fortunate enough to join them as a member of the barrel selection team on twice yearly trips to the distilleries. Coming up .. a visit in early March by Jim Rutledge for a dinner and hang-out ... the latest of several MD's who have joined us.
    SBers ... you really should put Tallahassee on your visit list some time in the future ... it takes the guesswork out of selections.
    (PS - I get no compensation .. so don't think this is commercial ... just appreciation for what we have here.)
    You're right John. Tallahassee has it all. I can, first hand, vouch for everything you said. What you did not add is the large collection of bourbon enthusiasts that live there. All very knowledgeable and just a great bunch of guys. I love hanging out with you guys.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Compensation? Hell, I'd pay them.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Compensation? Hell, I'd pay them.
    I guess I do, Squire ... just picked up a case of KC barrel select today and left a few shackles on the counter! Not even a frickin' discount!

Guru

I think you meant shekels but shackles is the sort of Freudian slip I would make.

Advanced Taster

Liquor Barn (St. Matthews) has released two JPS 18 offerings - a single barrel that is unfiltered S-W juice that was about two years ago (barrel D-4 or D-7 something), and a newer "batch selection" that is more in line with the regular JPS 18 you see on other shelves. You won't find any more of the single barrel, but the batch selection might still be floating around.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by elbowguru View Post
    Liquor Barn (St. Matthews) has released two JPS 18 offerings - a single barrel that is unfiltered S-W juice that was about two years ago (barrel D-4 or D-7 something), and a newer "batch selection" that is more in line with the regular JPS 18 you see on other shelves. You won't find any more of the single barrel, but the batch selection might still be floating around.
    Anyone tried the Liquor Barn single barrel? Curious as to how good it is relative to the better JPS batches.

Enthusiast

We have single barrel selections here, on is D8 and there are two others as well. These are all delicious and were confirmed to be the SW juice. I'd grab any of the SB you can. It's $89 here. Can't speak for the batch selection as we have had various reports on this thread.
    Jon

Enthusiast

I'm on my second pour of this (batch 16). The bottle has been open about 4 to 6 weeks, and this is now much better. The finish is not nearly as woody as it was. In fact, the finish is not nearly as dry as it was either. Nose is still fantastic, and with the decline in wood at the end, I get a little wood in the nose, along with sweet stone fruit (cherries maybe, but not quite) and more vanilla. The palate is sweeter than I recall as well. So the air has obviously helped this one a bit.

At $90, I don't know that I would buy it again, but I think this bottle will be enjoyable.

Guru

Glad to see it's better with time. Let's hope it's great in a few months!