Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I picked up a bottle of 17, batch 6, in Myrtle Beach for $60 (1/3 off sale). It is very good but for $60 I'd rather have Vintage 17 and wouldn't buy another for $90.
    That is helpful info, thanks. I have several V17 wheaters bunkered (love the stuff), and have passed up JPS 18 at $80-$90 on various occassions, and seems I might continue to do so. Batch 14 is what I see around me, so I will be curious to read further reports on that from compliance. If I saw JPS closer to $60 though, I'd definitely buy it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    That is helpful info, thanks. I have several V17 wheaters bunkered (love the stuff), and have passed up JPS 18 at $80-$90 on various occassions, and seems I might continue to do so. Batch 14 is what I see around me, so I will be curious to read further reports on that from compliance. If I saw JPS closer to $60 though, I'd definitely buy it.
    For what it's worth, I would take JPS over V17 every time. I found V17 to have muted flavors and just generally didn't spark my interest, but I've only had one bottle of it. I haven't had one of the "bad" bottles of JPS I've heard exist, although I don't doubt they're out there. If nothing else this is the end of the SW, so even though it's plentiful now they'll be gone soon enough. I think you should give it a shot. They can be found around $70 out there too, so that helps.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    For what it's worth, I would take JPS over V17 every time. I found V17 to have muted flavors and just generally didn't spark my interest, but I've only had one bottle of it. I haven't had one of the "bad" bottles of JPS I've heard exist, although I don't doubt they're out there. If nothing else this is the end of the SW, so even though it's plentiful now they'll be gone soon enough. I think you should give it a shot. They can be found around $70 out there too, so that helps.
    V17 does get the job done for me, but appreciate the thoughts. Ironically, I was at Total Wine yesterday, and standing in the bourbon section, while some dude walked up and grabbed the last two JPS 18 (at $90 apiece). I'll keep my eye out for more reasonable pricing, though that may get more difficult as supplies dwindle.
    Last edited by jeffrey r; 12-09-2012 at 09:58.

Enthusiast

I've only tasted JPS a few times, one of the early 17 year old batches and a few of the 18 years, but none have impressed me. Especially not the 18 year olds. They all tasted past their prime to me.
    Ryan

Advanced Taster

Did a side-by-side comparison of JPS 18 batches 9, 16, 17, and 28 with this year's Pappy 15. In terms of nose, all batches of the JPS 18 were superior to the Pappy. In terms of palate, I preferred the JPS on batches 9, 16, and 17, whereas the Pappy bested the JPS oak bomb batch #28. In terms of finish, I preferred the Pappy 15 to JPS #9 and #16 (these had a fairly short finish), I rule a tie on batch #17, and JPS wins on batch #28.

The verdict? Difficult to say, but I think I can say, for my tastes, the JPS 18 is certainly right up there with the Pappy 15 in terms of nose, taste, and finish. Given the Pappy hysteria in general, I think these are a more than acceptable alternative.
    Last edited by boneuphtoner; 12-10-2012 at 09:18.

Advanced Taster

Since JPS 17 has been referenced a few times in this thread, I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to still find it out on retail shelves? I haven't really been looking but when I do see JPS it's all 18 YO. Just wanted see if anyone is still seeing the 17 YO out there. thanks!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    Since JPS 17 has been referenced a few times in this thread, I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to still find it out on retail shelves? I haven't really been looking but when I do see JPS it's all 18 YO. Just wanted see if anyone is still seeing the 17 YO out there. thanks!

I think it may be location-dependent. I haven't seen any of the 17 in Eastern MA since around the end of summertime (at least not at the ten or so stores that I visit).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Stopped by another store and they had JPS 18, Batch 26 (I think). Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    In another store today and saw more JPS18 batch 11 but also saw several of batch 25 on the same shelf. One looked hand written in red ink (but might not be) while the 25 was printed on the label.

For $90 I was able to pass on getting either one.

Still have yet to see a JPS17 on the shelf and don't really expect to.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Basically every store in my area has tons of JPS18. Lowest batch number I've been able to find is 8. Anyone had any experience with that one?

Enthusiast

I recently picked up a private bottling of this form Hi-Time. Anyone try this one? The other bottle I have is batch 15, and I've been drinking from this one for a couple of months. It has gotten less woody with air exposure, and it now dessert-like. The last pour I had was like liquid caramel.