Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Average Pappy prices?

I don't see anything wrong with Pappy being "unaffordable" in the future. It's time they priced it to the point that it stays in stock on shelves for more than a day. If pushing PVW15 to $500+ MSRP is what it takes to bring sanity upon society, then I am all for it. The eBay and now Craigslist issue is indicative of a problem that isn't going away (black market = market inefficiency) and there's no point for the brand to pretend that's it's accessible to the average joe anymore.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by yountvillewjs View Post
    My guess is that production has remained steady, but the demand by restaurants (and perhaps even an emphasis by the Van Winkles) has made a hard product almost extinct in the wild. Happens in the wine business all the time and is highly successful, if you can pull it off. See: Baby Saz. Good on them and keep your hands off my 4R.
    I believe it is more than a guess on your part Will and that is another big part of what's happening. Nick Kocanas of Chicago's Aviary proves you correct when he says "The Pappy 20 is always available as a single pour.... we sell a lot but won't run out (we've put effort into stocking up so it doesn't become a seasonal product with us)." Aviary has only been open for a year and a half (April 23, 2011) with people lined up for 6 hours before its doors opened on that day and it's frenzy continues.

And in the spirit of the season and as a public service to all Van Winkle crazies I'll even do you all a favor of linking to this Pappy at restaurants/bars locator compliments of the Eater site http://eater.com/archives/2012/11/29...ight-now-1.php
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Disciple

In the wine and spirits game of sales, on-premise always gets preference. ALWAYS.

The are plenty of sought-after wine labels that will tell their wholesalers what percentage must go to on-premise(restaurants). Sometimes it's 75-80%. In a couple of cases, such as Navarro out of Anderson Valley, it's 100% on-premise. And prior to Brown-Forman purchasing Sonoma-Cutrer and ramping production to create an off-premise(retail) sku, that winery was 100% on-premise as well, or at least it was supposed to be.(Small amounts will always slip thru the cracks.) Any wholesaler who would violate Sonoma-Cutrer's rule would either be punished by smaller allocation, or fired as a partner.

The producers' thinking behind all this, is that if you are a highly sought-after brand with limited availability, on-premise sales will touch more consumers, rather than the hoarding aspect, as well as the price deflation, of off-premise.

By touching more consumers, you are doing a better job of "brand-building." At least that's the theory.

Advanced Taster

By the way everyone, the number of "Empty" bottles and bags on a certain website is starting to get ridiculous.
    Last edited by Rockefeller; 12-06-2012 at 07:13.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    By the way everyone, the number of "Empty" bottles and bags on a certain website is starting to get ridiculous.
    Putting empty is in quotes doesn't mean you will get a full bottle
    and I'd guess buyers would have no recourse with ebay despite
    any "Ask seller a question" replies they might have received prior
    to the auction end.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by skidfive View Post
    On that point, no so much on the pappys, but there are numerous sites selling BTAC from around $140 a bottle in europe. some of the sites have stock of stagg and weller from 2009 and 2010. almost all have handy and saz18 as well. seems offshore is definitely getting more bottles then are selling while as you said, people are lining up here trying to get one bottle of any BTAC available just to have one from that year.
    Just to continue on offshore prices, I was in a shop in London a couple of months ago that was selling either Baker's or Bookers for GBP90 a bottle while Pappy 15 yr was listed at GBP70 at this same shop.

The truth is guys it's just not that good for the money. They can sell it for a $1000 a bottle I'm done with it. It's all hype now. I'm also tired of this annual ritual of 15 to 30 or more threads on Pappy and BTAC you can only beat a dead horse so much.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 12-06-2012 at 08:39.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    The truth is guys it's just not that good for the money. They can sell it for a $1000 a bottle I'm done with it. It's all hype now. I'm also tired of this annual ritual of 15 to 30 or more threads on Pappy and BTAC you can only beat a dead horse so much.
    Err, Paul.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Re: Once a year allocation for Pappy?

This is the most exciting news to hit these boards in months!!!!! Now, I only have to get through the fortyeleven PVW threads that coincide with it's release just once per year!!! Only once per year will I have to gut it through......"Anybody know when Pappy's release date is?"; "Wahoo, I'm the first to report seeing Pappy in a store!!!!! "; "My store only got 1 bottle of 15. :. How many did your store get???" "Is Pappy 15 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 20 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 23 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Damn this chafes my shorts, the 15 yr is $114 here!!! How much is it in your area???"; "Hi my name is Mort, i just signed up here...can anyone tell me where I can buy Pappy?"; "Anybody seen Pappy in Cooter Station, West Virginia yet?"; "Hey, can anyone tell me if my bottle is Stitzel-Weller?"; "Sound off! Who has their Pappy?"; "This Pappy is great juice....Who agrees with me?!?!?!"; "Good News! Webcam showing Pappy being bottled today!!!!"; "So, when did Stitzel-Weller stop distilling?"; "How much do the Pappy's cost in your area??"; "Somebody stole my Pappy!! "; "Why can't they just start up Stitzel-Weller again??"; "Preston just tweeted that Pappy 15 is really 15 years and 3 MONTHS!!!!!" ; "Are we sure the 15 year is now BT??????"; "Goodbye all, I dropped my Pappy....BANG!! "; "What's 1,992 + 15???"; "Is Stizzel-Willur still distilling?"; "What should I do with my 17 bottles of Pappy 15???" ; "Is E-Bay a good place to buy Pappy 15??" ; "I know this has probably been asked before, but does anyone know if the current release of Pappy 15 is from the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery??"

Ahhhhh. The Springs will be so nice....

this post from smokin joe still gives me a lot of pleasure !
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Re: Once a year allocation for Pappy?

This is the most exciting news to hit these boards in months!!!!! Now, I only have to get through the fortyeleven PVW threads that coincide with it's release just once per year!!! Only once per year will I have to gut it through......"Anybody know when Pappy's release date is?"; "Wahoo, I'm the first to report seeing Pappy in a store!!!!! "; "My store only got 1 bottle of 15. :. How many did your store get???" "Is Pappy 15 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 20 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Is Pappy 23 still Stitzel-Weller?"; "Damn this chafes my shorts, the 15 yr is $114 here!!! How much is it in your area???"; "Hi my name is Mort, i just signed up here...can anyone tell me where I can buy Pappy?"; "Anybody seen Pappy in Cooter Station, West Virginia yet?"; "Hey, can anyone tell me if my bottle is Stitzel-Weller?"; "Sound off! Who has their Pappy?"; "This Pappy is great juice....Who agrees with me?!?!?!"; "Good News! Webcam showing Pappy being bottled today!!!!"; "So, when did Stitzel-Weller stop distilling?"; "How much do the Pappy's cost in your area??"; "Somebody stole my Pappy!! "; "Why can't they just start up Stitzel-Weller again??"; "Preston just tweeted that Pappy 15 is really 15 years and 3 MONTHS!!!!!" ; "Are we sure the 15 year is now BT??????"; "Goodbye all, I dropped my Pappy....BANG!! "; "What's 1,992 + 15???"; "Is Stizzel-Willur still distilling?"; "What should I do with my 17 bottles of Pappy 15???" ; "Is E-Bay a good place to buy Pappy 15??" ; "I know this has probably been asked before, but does anyone know if the current release of Pappy 15 is from the legendary Stitzel-Weller Distillery??"

Ahhhhh. The Springs will be so nice....

this post from smokin joe still gives me a lot of pleasure !

LOL
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.