Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Average Pappy prices?

I think Pappy 15 is the Carcharodontosaurus of wheaters.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post
    I think that a better analogy is to say that PVW23 is the Port Ellen of the bourbon world. Nobody is putting bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue away as an example of a distillery long closed.
    Port Ellen and Brora.

Connoisseur

The Pappy bubble will NOT bust anytime soon. They purposefully limit supply and distribution. They have learned that their retail prices were low by virtue of the secondary market. Price increases will come with each new seasonal release. The only thing that will change is that the enthusiasts who built the brand will simply walk away from it at some point.

Connoisseur

People buy Port Ellen to obtain good whisky from a shuttered distillery. Currently, most people buy Pappy Van Winkle for the name, a la Johnnie Walker Blue. They don't know or care that the juice, or a good portion therof, is from Buffalo Trace and not S/W. The Pappy 23 is the lone exception, but ironically it is the 15 and 20 that people are primarily after. Comparing PVW to PE insults Port Ellen.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 12-06-2012 at 16:24.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    The only thing that will change is that the enthusiasts who built the brand will simply walk away from it at some point.
    From all indications & soothsayers alike, I think the exodus has begun.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    People buy Port Ellen to obtain good whisky from a shuttered distillery. Currently, most people buy Pappy Van Winkle for the name, a la Johnnie Walker Blue. They don't know or care that the juice, or a good portion therof, is from Buffalo Trace and not S/W. The Pappy 23 is the lone exception, but ironically it is the 15 and 20 that people are primarily after. Comparing PVW to PE insults Port Ellen.

And yet i compared PVW23 with Port Ellen rather than the PVW20/PVW 15. I diasagree with your vehement comparison of the two. They are both fine whiskey. Neither is my favorite.

Not towards you, Lost Bottle, but I'm not sure what I find more fascinating: the irrational PVW love or the passionate backlash.
    Last edited by wripvanwrinkle; 12-06-2012 at 19:48.
    -Eric

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by wripvanwrinkle View Post

And yet i compared PVW23 with Port Ellen rather than the PVW20/PVW 15. I diasagree with your vehement comparison of the two. They are both fine whiskey. Neither is my favorite.

Not towards you, Lost Bottle, but I'm not sure what I find more fascinating: the irrational PVW love or the passionate backlash.
    Just remember... Money is not the root of all evil. It is the 'love' of money...
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Pappy 20 is more of an Allosaurus I think.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Bringing things back to the issue of pricing, I have a fairly rudimentary way of calculating my potential "price ceiling": How much would I pay for this drink at a bar?

If the highest I would ever pay for a PVW15 at a bar is $15, then I should also be willing to pay up to ~$190/bottle - given each 750ml bottle has a little over twelve 2oz servings. This obviously does not take into account all types of factors (like gratuity, opportunity costs of buying other bottles, the value of being in a bar atmosphere with friends, how drunk you were at the time of purchase, etc.) but you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    Bringing things back to the issue of pricing, I have a fairly rudimentary way of calculating my potential "price ceiling": How much would I pay for this drink at a bar?

If the highest I would ever pay for a PVW15 at a bar is $15, then I should also be willing to pay up to ~$190/bottle - given each 750ml bottle has a little over twelve 2oz servings. This obviously does not take into account all types of factors (like gratuity, opportunity costs of buying other bottles, the value of being in a bar atmosphere with friends, how drunk you were at the time of purchase, etc.) but you get my point.
    Lets not be giving these distilleries any ideas.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.