Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Average Pappy prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    If the highest I would ever pay for a PVW15 at a bar is $15, then I should also be willing to pay up to ~$190/bottle - given each 750ml bottle has a little over twelve 2oz servings. This obviously does not take into account all types of factors (like gratuity, opportunity costs of buying other bottles, the value of being in a bar atmosphere with friends, how drunk you were at the time of purchase, etc.) but you get my point.
    I do consider this when ordering drinks at a bar or deciding to buy a bottle, but as you disclaim, it's not an even comparison. My formula is basically:

((Most I would pay for 2oz at a bar/restaurant under normal circumstances) x 12.5) / 2 = Most I will pay for a bottle

In this case, I'm with you on the max $15 for a pour of PVW15 at a bar. Dividing by two is the "service and atmosphere" factor. So the most I would pay for a bottle of PVW15 is $93.75. I passed on it yesterday for $99, but I didn't break out the calculator; I just knew that was more than I thought it was worth. I now know why the old fogies around here feel like, as it was usually $60 - $80 in the past releases.

Apparently the distributor round these parts (Republic) decided to hike their VW prices by 50% this year, and the retailers have responded in kind.

Connoisseur

Here in Phoenix, AZ ---

2011 -- I had just started my bourbon adventure and noticed ORVW 10/107 for $39.99. Didn't take the jump though, as I didn't feel I'd be able to fully 'appreciate' anything that high end. There were also many bottles of Lot B to be had, and they were either $45 or $49.99 if memory serves.

2012 -- ORVW is now $44.99. Didn't see any Lot B's. Will keep an eye out though.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I do consider this when ordering drinks at a bar or deciding to buy a bottle, but as you disclaim, it's not an even comparison. My formula is basically:

((Most I would pay for 2oz at a bar/restaurant under normal circumstances) x 12.5) / 2 = Most I will pay for a bottle

In this case, I'm with you on the max $15 for a pour of PVW15 at a bar. Dividing by two is the "service and atmosphere" factor. So the most I would pay for a bottle of PVW15 is $93.75. I passed on it yesterday for $99, but I didn't break out the calculator; I just knew that was more than I thought it was worth. I now know why the old fogies around here feel like, as it was usually $60 - $80 in the past releases.

Apparently the distributor round these parts (Republic) decided to hike their VW prices by 50% this year, and the retailers have responded in kind.
    I forgot to note in my argument that this presents an interest conundrum because absolutely no bar in NYC would serve PVW15 for only $15. A closer starting point for PVW15 in NYC is probably $25+. We also need to factor in the idea that by-and-by, the price of PVW isn't going anywhere but up. I personally would have picked up that bottle for $99 because I literally wouldn't be able to buy if for less than $99 anywhere else and probably won't be able to for the rest of my life (insert dramatic music here).

Advanced Taster

FYI, my local swanky bar has upped their prices for a 3oz serving to:

Lot B - $40
    PVW15 - $50
    PVW23 - $70 (a relative steal)

For comparison, a MM is $12.50

Advanced Taster

Halifax I am one of those who is walking away...Done..

Virtuoso

Held a bottle of 15 in my hand last year but passed on it since the $80 price tag seemed, at the time, to be a little too salty. Meh. Chalk me up as another who is fine with walking away. Plenty of other fish in the whiskey sea ...
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Taster

Average Pappy prices?

Our store in central NY sold our lone bottle of ORVW10 at $40 and lone bottle of Lot B for $55. That's all we were allocated this year and the same last year (and we're not a small store). Guess all the Pappy bottles are being allocated to NYC bars or something.

Disciple

The prices are only high at retail. From Sazerac, the price for a bottle of PVW15 has gone up less than $10/bottle over the past 4 or 5 years. Blame distributors and retailers, not JVW/BT.

Novice

I didn't notice a massive price jump in WNY (other than on the 23), but it was much harder to find any of the VW's than it was last year. A manager at one large store told me that the owner held back his allotment on the VWFRR, 20 and 23 for friends, and the 10/107, Lot B, and 15 were gone the same day they received them. Last year, this store had the 15 on the shelf for a few days and the Old Rip and Lot B were available for at least 2-3 weeks.

In a loosely related note, I stumbled across a fairly substantial supply of Weller 12 today at $22/bottle...less than their price on OWA.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by frayed99 View Post
    I didn't notice a massive price jump in WNY (other than on the 23), but it was much harder to find any of the VW's than it was last year. A manager at one large store told me that the owner held back his allotment on the VWFRR, 20 and 23 for friends, and the 10/107, Lot B, and 15 were gone the same day they received them. Last year, this store had the 15 on the shelf for a few days and the Old Rip and Lot B were available for at least 2-3 weeks.

In a loosely related note, I stumbled across a fairly substantial supply of Weller 12 today at $22/bottle...less than their price on OWA.
    Interesting report on VW availability in your area. Nice Weller 12 find! Bunker my friend, bunker.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"