Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Average Pappy prices?

Pappy 23=Dilophosaurus

Yes, all large theropods. Make of that what you will.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeller View Post
    FYI, my local swanky bar has upped their prices for a 3oz serving to:

Lot B - $40
    PVW15 - $50
    PVW23 - $70 (a relative steal)

For comparison, a MM is $12.50
    that is insane. as seen from my avatar, I'm a PvW fan. Been drinking the 20 yr old for about 8 years on the recommendation of my local Binny's whiskey guy. Pappy 20 used to be on the shelf, often in a red velvet bag, sometimes not. Started drinking 15 and Lot B, too, but the 20 was always my favorite. Everyone I gave it to loved it. Price was pretty stable at 90-100 for the 20; 15 was around 50-55. Seemed quite reasonable. Blue Smoke BBQ in NYC had their own vW bottling that is also quite good and a reason to go there. Met Julian at Lush one year around 2007 and had him sign several bottles.
    Now, with all the newbies clamoring for vW, the prices escalating and the SW product gone/going away, I'm pulling away, too from buying more. I have several 20's stashed away and some 15's that are probably SW as well. Also the lack of transparency as to what's really in the bottle. They should tell us and if it's good, we'll drink it. And if it's not really limited, then they shouldn't release it semiannually. the ebay/craig's list sales are hilarious.

The first time I was at Blue Smoke the bartender said I had to try this stuff called Four Roses, just back in the US after a long absence. Used to be the biggest or one of the biggest brands, then it was only sold in Japan where it was extremely popular. Loved it. Figured I'd get some when I got home, but it wasn't yet available in Illinois. A few months later, it was, and I bought a few bottles. Luckily, I bought a few bottles of the 4R 120th Anniversary as it's my favorite "recipe" (OBSK).
    Unfortunately, I'm kind of a collector/hoarder, so I've bought many bottles of different whiskies over the years, single malts included. I was drinking single malts including Lagavulin 16 since 1990. Even drove around to bunker the Lagavulin before they ran out for a couple of years several years ago (due to supply/demand imbalance).
    If I was reasonable, I'd just stick with 4R for now. Great bourbon for the price.
    Might even be changing my avatar.?.?
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

FYI, my local swanky bar has upped their prices for a 3oz serving to:

Lot B - $40
    PVW15 - $50
    PVW23 - $70 (a relative steal)

For comparison, a MM is $12.50
    Holy f**kin sh*t!!! Swanky is right!! Just paid $7.50 for a Knob Creek pour last week, at a restaurant in Anaheim, CA.

There's a local 'swanky' cigar/whiskey bar in Phoenix that I've been wanting to try out. Yelp users say the selection and atmosphere is great, but prices are steep... which has given me pause from actually taking the time to visit (that and the fact that as a non-smoker, sitting in 2nd hand smoke while trying to enjoy the nuances of a new bourbon don't exactly peak my interest). I had no idea that $12.50 MM was even a possibility though. That's even worse than I imagined.

I had hoped I'd be able to try several of the higher-end bourbons I've yet to sample... now I'm scared to even step foot in the place, lol.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 12-08-2012 at 00:08.

You go to a whisk(e)y bar you had better take some cash or a credit card with you. You'll pay on average 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a bottle for a pour.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Hmm, off the Board two days and this thread grows three pages, the subject certainly draws attention.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    You go to a whisk(e)y bar you had better take some cash or a credit card with you. You'll pay on average 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a bottle for a pour.
    Same rings true in Australia. It's not unsusual to pay $8-$10 for a pour (30ml here due to liquor laws) of Makers from a bottle that would cost you $35 at retail.

Advanced Taster

I have 2 bottles of ORVW10/90 stored away in the closet. Anyone else hesitant to open it now that it's been discontinued?

Guru

Rock I don't hesitate to open any bottle . . . when my heirs liquidate my estate there will be no dusties to be sold.

Connoisseur

I have 2 bottles of ORVW10/90 stored away in the closet. Anyone else hesitant to open it now that it's been discontinued?
    No
    The 107 is better anyways

Advanced Taster

I have to say Pappy prices here in DC this yearwere ridiculous--serious price gouging by some retailers. One store called me saying they only got a couplebottles in and if I was interested. Isaid yes but then asked the price—the ORVW10 was $99 and the PVW15 was $250…OUCH! I thanked them for the call butsaid no thank you. I also saw the Lot B in a few stores pricedbetween $125 and $175. After a pretty extensive search I did come across a couple bottles that were very decentlypriced so was lucky this year but can’t believe people are paying these outrageousprices that some stores are asking. I hope the hype subsides some next year. Wishful thinking I guess...