Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Average Pappy prices?

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    Saw some Lot B in the wild yesterday for $99.99.

At the same store where I bought all of my PVW20 for the same price less than two years ago.

Decided I'm good with the handful of ORVW107s, VWFRRs, PVW15s and PVW20s that I've got bunkered.
    At some point you have to say enough​ and be content with what you have. I'll just wait for the bubble to burst. In the mean time, I'll be enjoying my Four Roses and OWA.

Virtuoso

I spent some of this past Saturday and parts of the last 3 evenings trying to gather in a few bottles I had put off buying as the Christmas rush tends to empty out some of the better offerings in my area. In doing so, I asked about the rumored Pappy arrival in the Memphis metro area. Same story everywhere I went: just a few select stores received any at all and the few who did had everything spoken for already. While this was not totally unexpected, what was unexpected was to find out how very little came into the area: somewhere between 24-48 bottles in total spread out between about a dozen stores. This is a reduction of more than 50% from this time last year. A few stores said they got a grand total of 1 bottle. Also, it does not appear that any VWFRR was shipped to said area. Also, what was even more disconcerting was hearing that there will be a 25% price increase in the 2013 Pappy release. All in all, glad I was not in the hunt this year and if the price increase is more than rumor, not likely I will ever again get a "Pappy Hunting License".
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Guru

Average Pappy prices?

In Washington state, there were very few bottles allocated in general and the distributor who has monopoly on BTAC/Pappy has been denying bottles to retailers (saving the bulk of the bottles for restaurants).

Given the recent transition from State Monopoly, all-time Pappy/BTAC hype, and Young's Distributors unpopular (some would say unfair) practices, we are seeing an already ridiculous scene exacerbated by this perfect storm of circumstances.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Also, what was even more disconcerting was hearing that there will be a 25% price increase in the 2013 Pappy release.
    OMG PVW WTF!?

A 25% price increase is steep. This is especially true since since there was already a large increase this year which is compounded.

Trippah and Admin

This is another thread that I really don't want to wade in to, but I can't help myself.

Many SB'ers noticed the additional marketing push by the Van Winkles in the last few years and there were some questions here about the motivation.

I wonder if the expanded marketing and increase in retail pricing is just a factor of the difference between the cost of the SW barrels that they sourced and bottled for years and new pricing for the BT distillate? At the time that they picked off the old SW stock, aged bourbon wasn't in great demand so prices should have been relatively low. Now that they have built their brand, I would guess that the cost of the BT distillate is much higher, hence the retail increase to maintain their margins.

Just thinking out loud, I guess.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Enthusiast

My guess is that production has remained steady, but the demand by restaurants (and perhaps even an emphasis by the Van Winkles) has made a hard product almost extinct in the wild. Happens in the wine business all the time and is highly successful, if you can pull it off. See: Baby Saz. Good on them and keep your hands off my 4R.
    tl; dnr

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

I wonder if the expanded marketing and increase in retail pricing is just a factor of the difference between the cost of the SW barrels that they sourced and bottled for years and new pricing for the BT distillate? At the time that they picked off the old SW stock, aged bourbon wasn't in great demand so prices should have been relatively low. Now that they have built their brand, I would guess that the cost of the BT distillate is much higher, hence the retail increase to maintain their margins.

Just thinking out loud, I guess.
    This is quite a valid point brought forth and an angle that I really hadn't considered,but in the big picture of marketing strategy the pricing itself fits well within the bracket between the CEHT line and BTAC so,I guess it really kind of makes sense.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    OMG PVW WTF!?

A 25% price increase is steep. This is especially true since since there was already a large increase this year which is compounded.
    I'm really hoping this to have been just rumor or gross exaggeration by the stores who told me this. If this trend continues, a day will come sooner rather than later when we will see the shelves remain stocked & full well beyond the annual release dates.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-05-2012 at 19:23.
    .....Merle Haggard

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    This is quite a valid point brought forth and an angle that I really hadn't considered,but in the big picture of marketing strategy the pricing itself fits well within the bracket between the CEHT line and BTAC so,I guess it really kind of makes sense.
    While I fully support the capitalist free market system of supply & demand....still, I find myself wondering from time to time how much Pappy as well as many other wonderful Kentucky products are sent offshore for higher profit margins while we search, scratch & claw to find the few bottles that are made available to the homeland....just a passing thought.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-05-2012 at 19:24.
    .....Merle Haggard

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    While I fully support the capitalist free market system of supply & demand....still, I find myself wondering from time to time how much Pappy as well as many other wonderful Kentucky products are sent offshore for higher profit margins while we search, scratch & claw to find the few bottles that are made available to the homeland....just a passing thought.
    On that point, no so much on the pappys, but there are numerous sites selling BTAC from around $140 a bottle in europe. some of the sites have stock of stagg and weller from 2009 and 2010. almost all have handy and saz18 as well. seems offshore is definitely getting more bottles then are selling while as you said, people are lining up here trying to get one bottle of any BTAC available just to have one from that year.