Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Koval Bourbon coming 12/5/12

"KOVAL BOURBON IS HERE!"

"It's here! Our long-awaited Bourbon will be available starting December 5th at the Distillery Store."

I am sure it is going to be young - 2 years? - as it could not have been aging that long since the distillery started in 2008
    and they did not initiate the whiskey right away.
    Last edited by Jono; 12-04-2012 at 13:03.

Enthusiast

Re: Koval Bourbon coming 12/5/12

Has anyone taken the plunge?
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

I haven't seen it at any stores yet but I'll probably pass for now. I've already got a couple young craft bourbons in the cabinet and those bottles just don't seem to empty as quickly as the others.

Enthusiast

I'll pass. As much as I want these craft guys to succeed, their whiskey just doesn't cut it. One of the K&L podcasts featured the head distiller from Leopold Brothers, and he gave some esoteric reason as to why his whiskey was different and worth purchasing and so on... His reasoning along with reccomendations from David Driscol prompted me to buy a bottle (for $45). I opened it as soon as I got home, excited that it may be different from other craft distillers, and...pure young wood - it gave my throat splinters.

I've been burned one too many times by these small guys, and will not buy another 'craft' bottle until I hear that they have changed their ways and created a truely balanced whiskey.

Guru

Long awaited by who, their loan officer?

Guru

There is going to be a tasting of the new Koval 47th ward "overproof" whiskey in town week after next I think. I may try to go and see what it is like.

From the website: Named after the distillery's corner of Chicago, the 47th Ward is distilled from a mash bill of rye, wheat, oat, and malted barley. This new whiskey is aged in heavily charred new oak and bottled single barrel at 94 proof. The four grains define its depth with a banana nose, creamy palate, and spicy finish.

Not sure 94 proof really qualifies as "overproof" so much as reasonable proof but that is their word for it!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    There is going to be a tasting of the new Koval 47th ward "overproof" whiskey in town week after next I think. I may try to go and see what it is like.

From the website: Named after the distillery's corner of Chicago, the 47th Ward is distilled from a mash bill of rye, wheat, oat, and malted barley. This new whiskey is aged in heavily charred new oak and bottled single barrel at 94 proof. The four grains define its depth with a banana nose, creamy palate, and spicy finish.

Not sure 94 proof really qualifies as "overproof" so much as reasonable proof but that is their word for it!
    Bruce, I am going to try and make it too, if I'm in town. It beats the 38 bucks I lay down for an entire bottle of craft whiskey jsut to try it, like I usually do!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Bruce, I am going to try and make it too, if I'm in town. It beats the 38 bucks I lay down for an entire bottle of craft whiskey jsut to try it, like I usually do!

Let me know if you are going to make it and we will look for you! Glen may join me as well.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Thanks for taking one for the team guys, and while you're there ask them for me why do they toss in the oats.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Thanks for taking one for the team guys, and while you're there ask them for me why do they toss in the oats.
    I will add that one to the list!