Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Costco's Kirkland Signature 20 year Single Malt scotch whisky

This is starting to show up at Costcos across the country. I think they do a limited release like this yearly, last year they had a good deal on some Macallan. This year's deal is a 20 year old of unknown origin (at least so far), for about $45 .

I'm going to hunt tomorrow. In the meantime if anyone knows the source, or even better has tasting notes, please share so we all know how many cases to buy

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Costco's Kirkland Signature 20 year Single Malt scotch whisky

I strongly suggest you buy, open, and taste a bottle before buying cases. Just because a SM is 20 years does not make it good. There is a 33 page thread on this over at http://slickdeals.net/f/5617412-Cost...isky-for-44-99.

Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to grab a bunch blind. I brought home 2 today, so I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs. Was hoping to get some notes from a more experienced pallet first. I mostly drink Islays and not too many Speysides, so I probably won't have much clue where it fits on the value scale compared to other bottles anyway.

You try any yet Wade? I'm going to crack mine now I guess. I have a feeling this stuff will be gone within a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    You try any yet Wade?
    No Costco owned liquor stores in Texas so answer is no.

Enthusiast

Impromptu taste test. Kirkland Signature Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky versus the only other Speyside in my collection right now, Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old. Note the Balvenie has been opened about a month or so.

This is probably a good comparison based on price, the Kirkland is $45. The DW is a well known widely available Speyside at about the same price. They are both finished in sherry casks. The DW has a name brand, the Kirkland has an extra 8 years. DW at 43%, Kirkland 40% abv.

Color: Very similar with the Kirkland being slightly darker.

Nose: The Kirkland is richer but more closed off right now. The DW has been open about a month and the bottle is half done, so it's had some time to open up. The DW is lighter in comparison, more fruit like, maybe a bit of orange, but I get a little bit of a marker note on the DW also that's more noticeable when compared to the Kirkland. The Kirkland is darker fruit, closer to plums. My wife differentiated them by calling them fall and summer. The sherry finish is apparent on both and they are both (obviously) the same style.

Taste: The DW continues to be lighter here, but I enjoy the little extra alcohol kick it has compared to the Kirkland. The Kirkland is smooth and a bit reminiscent of cough syrup (not in a particularly bad way). It could use more proof, it's a pretty relaxed sipper. I think a noob would really like it actually, since they all seem to think the smoother something is the better. I will give the edge in taste to the Kirkland. It's got more depth, but it's also a bit of a tease about it. I would like to think this will really open up after some air, and I get the feeling it will.

I'll confirm that the Kirkland is good scotch. I like it. I'm not big on Speysides so I can't really get into the nitty gritty differences in them, but it's giving me what I expect from one. It's better than DW, although there are things I enjoy about the DW more (my overall opinion of DW is that it is a good but middle of the road bottle). You are getting the increased complexity of an older malt, but I can't say how it compares to other 20yos. I don't really like giving instant reviews, but since there's a time crunch on this I wanted to get some info out there. I look forward to contemplating this bottle further. If it opens up I can see myself singing the praises a little louder. At the price you can't miss, even though it might not have a standout character. If it did it probably wouldn't be labeled Kirkland, and it certainly wouldn't be $45.

nice notes and at the price point a good deal for these with Costco locations own their own liquor stores.

Connoisseur

I had it and it's good. It's got nice balance of fruit, spice and a really looooooooong finish. It has a bit more spice than many younger speyside whiskys. I'd recommend it, but I don't know if it's worth going out and buying cases full.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Costco's Kirkland Signature 20 year Single Malt scotch whisky

Picked one up today. I'll try to get notes soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355173807.048588.jpg
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Connoisseur

Not a huge scotch guy, but couldn't pass this up when it showed up at my Costco today. Plenty available, but I am sure not for long.

Connoisseur

Still none of these available in the NW, which is funny since even the Kirkland Costco does not have the Kirkland Signature scotch!!!

I'm eagerly awaiting picking up a bottle for tasting, I called and our stores should be getting them in soon.