Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

"sup yo" from Seattle (well, a few miles east of Seattle)

So, I've been lurking for a few months and I like what I've seen and decided to join. I'm in my early 30's, married, and for the last 2 years have dived headfirst into whisk(e)ys like crazy. I'm actually more of a scotch fan but after some recent work trips to Kentucky I've started to develop a pallet for bourbon, but really only certain types. I'm not really much of a mixer, I do occasionally make a Manhattan, but for the most part I'm a straight whiskey drinker. I prefer small amounts (1oz) as there are times I almost love nosing more than actually tasting though occasionally I do go for larger pours. I'm blessed with a wife who also loves whiskey though when it comes to scotches she is more a fan of the peaty varieties than I am... I know! I'm fairly familiar with the distillation and aging process in general and used to consider myself among the better learned people when it comes to scotch (and to a lesser extent, bourbon and Irish) though as I learn more it only shows me how little I really do know. I've had opportunities to attend several local tastings and even got to go to the Single Malt Scotch & Whisky Extravaganza here in Seattle and had a blast. During my recent time in Kentucky I was able to do some tasting at Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Jim Beam, and Heaven Hills and had a blast at each

As for my specific tastes I tend to prefer sweeter scotchs, the Balvenie 21 year, Glenfiddich 15 year, Glenmorangie 10 year, and Yamazaki 12 year (I know, not a scotch) are some of my favorites. For bourbons I tend to go for the higher proof single barrels so I especially enjoy GTS, Bookers, and Noahs Mill. Though, it's sad to say, my enjoyment of bourbon still pales to how much I like scotch (I know, no one's perfect). One thing I do love is to collect bottles, though the next best thing for me is opening those same bottles with friends. At this point my "bunker" is quite small compared to those here I'm sure but I have managed to round up some fun ones. For scotch I have a 25 year Talisker, Balvenie Tun 1401 batch 3, Balvenie 17 year rum cask, and Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix, among many others. For bourbon I have this years GTS and THH, last years ORVW 10/90, 12, this years PVW 15 and 20, Jefferson 17 year PS (batch 2), and the Four Roses small batch 2012 edition (bought that from the distillery on a whim).

So, all that being said I love my whiskeys, almost as much as I love learning about them. I look forward to many hours reading and posting here with an emphasis on the former while I learn about all those undiscovered gems out there waiting for me to taste. However, I do want to leave everyone with this... I am NOT a flipper and never will be so don't worry about that! However I do love to be my friends "whiskey mule" so I have been known to bring back extra bottles of something special to use as gifts. I was lucky enough to bring back 4 bottles of GTS this year, 2 of which ended up with good friends.
    Last edited by MtnDew; 12-10-2012 at 08:32. Reason: Formatting was off

Guru

"sup yo" from Seattle (well, a few miles east of Seattle)

Welcome! I live in the Eastside as well - looking forward to reading your thoughts & experiences here. I almost went to the SMWS extravaganza this year but had a schedule conflict that night :-(. Maybe next year...

There's a Bourbon Bash in March coming up in Bellevue - I hope to make that.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: "sup yo" from Seattle (well, a few miles east of Seattle)

Morning Mtn, welcome aboard

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Morning Mtn, welcome aboard
    Thanks for the greeting! MtnDew is the name I typically run with on forums, something to do with my passion for Mountain Dew, even after all these years. You would think something so sweet and off color would grow less appealing with age but it has only become more desirable. And yes, I have mixed it with bourbon and it's quite good

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    You would think something so sweet and off color would grow less appealing with age but it has only become more desirable.
    Kinda like my wife!
    Welcome to SB and no need to apologize for being a switch hitter. There are lots of us single malt scotch/bourbon characters here and all we need is more time to drink them both. It's all good!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Kinda like my wife!
    Welcome to SB and no need to apologize for being a switch hitter. There are lots of us single malt scotch/bourbon characters here and all we need is more time to drink them both. It's all good!
    Yeah, I have a feeling my taste buds will continue to change over time but at this point scotch > bourbon for me... but that hardly means I don't enjoy a tasty bourbon

I looked in Canon.. holy crap, 57 page drink menu? The fact that they have scotchs I've never heard of is quite impressive (I read a lot) and I know about half the bourbons. They even have a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 batch 3, there were only 1800 of those produced! Now I just need to find an extra ~$1k in my couch cushions and I could possible afford to drink there

Canon is great and all, but the BEST bar for bourbon in Seattle, hands DOWN, is Liberty. Andrew, the guy who runs the place, is the nicest, most giving dude out there. He'll hook you up with flights of interesting things, and he even had the Old Rip 23 decanter and gave me a 1oz pour for FREE! Canon's $$$, Liberty's cheap.....and besides, what's better than 40 bourbons to choose from AND a sushi bar!?!?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Canon is great and all, but the BEST bar for bourbon in Seattle, hands DOWN, is Liberty. Andrew, the guy who runs the place, is the nicest, most giving dude out there. He'll hook you up with flights of interesting things, and he even had the Old Rip 23 decanter and gave me a 1oz pour for FREE! Canon's $$$, Liberty's cheap.....and besides, what's better than 40 bourbons to choose from AND a sushi bar!?!?
    Scantily clad dancin' girls?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Scantily clad dancin' girls?
    On Capitol Hill?!

It's a sausage fest Joe.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Welcome! I live in the Eastside as well - looking forward to reading your thoughts & experiences here. I almost went to the SMWS extravaganza this year but had a schedule conflict that night :-(. Maybe next year...

There's a Bourbon Bash in March coming up in Bellevue - I hope to make that.
    Oh, a bourbon bash sounds like fun, I'll have to check that out assuming I'm in town at the time.

If your in the eastside then you must have gone to Flat Iron in Issaquah, that's the place I tried GTS and PVW 15 year for the first time as they typically have quite a few nice bourbons in stock. If you have not been there here is their whiskey list, though many special releases are not included on the list and you just have to ask to see if they have a bottle. http://www.theflatirongrill.com/whiskey-library/