Here are some helpful hints and guidelines for newbies to SB.Com.
1. Take a look at the Bourbon Recommendations, New User Guidelines, and Frequently Used Abbreviations posts at the top of the New To Straightbourbon page. These areas are good places to get your feet wet when it comes to learning a little about how things work here, and some of the terminology and jargon frequently used by members on the site.
2. Take some time and browse some of the different posts/threads. This may help you get a better understanding of this site and some of its members.
3. Try and fill out your profile with as much information as possible. This may help members gain a better understanding of you.
4. Do a little search in the history of some of the posts/threads. There's a ton of information to be found. We have members from all walks of life, and some from within the bourbon industry itself.
5. Feel free to ask questions. (after looking at #'s 1, 2, & 4 ) Chances are about 99.9 % that someone will have an answer. If not, we have some very resourceful members that will try their darndest to find an answer for you.
6. Have some fun! Don't take yourself too seriously, and we'll try not to take ourselves too seriously either. Just remember, if you come barging in here like an elephant in a china shop, or like you own the place, you’re more than likely gonna ruffle a few feathers.
7. Speaking about ruffling some feathers….. Lately, it seems that a lot of people have come here looking to buy, sell or trade things. No can do. Besides legal ramifications, it’s downright rude, crude and socially unacceptable. So, if you’re here just to find a place to buy, sell and trade bottles, forget it. That’s not what this place is about. Consider this your warning. Sorry, but that’s just the way it is.
8. For those of you that like to chat, we do have a chat room here. To get there, click the chat icon located at the bottom left corner of the page. To set your chat preferences, click the gear icon located on the lower right corner of the page. (Semi-) Official chats are on Thursday and Sunday nights, but some members show up almost every night. Everyone is more than welcome. There is really only one "written" rule in chat. Leave any political and controversial garbage at the door. Other than that, c'mon in and chat if you feel like it. Have some fun, and get to know a few of us.
So, that’s pretty much it in a nutshell. Please feel free to contact the staff here at SB.com if you have any questions.
Welcome to SB.
The Staff and Management