Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

Stumbled on this article recently and it got me thinking: With my end-of-the-year bonus coming up, should I crack open one of the special bottles that I've been saving for my unborn son (who will probably sell it as soon as I'm dead)?

Depending on the size of my check, I'm thinking of popping ONE of the following:
    ORVW23
    Hirsch16
    Macallan 18 - 1985 (the vintage that won whiskey of the year)
    Macallan 25
    Lagavulin 21

What's the deflowering threshold for your most valued bottle ... if there is one?

Disciple

Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

All of my most valued bottles are open. Whiskey is for drinking. Worth noting though is that cost-wise, none of them compare to the items in your list.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Re: Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    All of my most valued bottles are open. Whiskey is for drinking. Worth noting though is that cost-wise, none of them compare to the items in your list.
    It's also in a twisted way, delayed gratification. Outside of the Mac25 those aren't made anymore so once I finish, it may be the last time I get to taste it (unless I pay out on some auction site). The question becomes whether I want to enjoy it this year or xx years from now.

Enthusiast

You can always replenish your collection with new 'not made anymore or not available' bottles. Especially from operational distillers like Macallan and Lagavulin. If I had 5 or so bottles I treasured I would probably pop one open every couple of years.

Advanced Taster

Most all of my bottles are open and the ones that aren't is because I just haven't got around to them yet. I agree with Jim, whiskey is for drinking. There are a few bottles that I wait for a special occasion to open them and here recently that special occasion is that I am getting ready to drink a good whiskey. Again like Jim said I don't have any bottles in my collection as nice as the one's on your list.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

I only delay opening bottles so that I don't have too many open at once. Other than that, I have no threshold. You don't know what tomorrow brings. Live for today, IMO.

Enthusiast

Well it is Tuesday so that would be good enough reason for me to pop one open. Hell I've even opened one on Wednesday one time.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post
    Well it is Tuesday so that would be good enough reason for me to pop one open. Hell I've even opened one on Wednesday one time.
    Alrighty then. LIFE ... HERE I COME!!

Virtuoso

Days ending in "Y" for me. I don't have many high value bottles but with the exception of the occasional duplicate (I don't have much of a bunker either) they are all open. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I'd rather enjoy these now and look back on them fondly than not taste them at all.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Dave View Post

That is funny, I was typing almost the exact same response.. I have found in general when I make a big deal about opening a bottle, I usually walk away disappointed... I stared at my first PVW20 I purchased (my 1st "good" bourbon) for 2+ yrs and the day I opened it I was disappointed and drowned my sorrows with a few pours of Lot B.. after a few weeks I grew to appreciate the 20 more and more but I think the anticipation gave me expectations that no bottle of bourbon could live up to.... I dont' usually set a day to open bottles but for some stupid reason it is a random Tuesday when I just say oh F-it and open something "good"