Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

I've only been an enthusiast, and so far, for my palate, I've only come across one bottle of juice that I can truly say is special. And that is the FR Small Batch Limited Edition 2012....the only thing I've tasted that made Pappy 15 and all of my JPS 18's taste bland and uninteresting. Through alot of effort, I was able to procure a grand total of 5 of them. Since these probably won't be made available again, I will probably only enjoy pours of this a few times of year with either good company, or where I'm doing nothing else but savoring the best bourbon on the planet (for my palate anyway). I figure 5 bottles should last me at least 20 years+ with only a few pours per year and aggressive use of 100% argon gas preserver....whaddayathink?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    The end could be tomorrow, bro. Drink!
    I have no problem drinking, that's for sure. I like to move away from the top shelf once I no longer remember whats in the glass anyway.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    I've only been an enthusiast, and so far, for my palate, I've only come across one bottle of juice that I can truly say is special. And that is the FR Small Batch Limited Edition 2012....the only thing I've tasted that made Pappy 15 and all of my JPS 18's taste bland and uninteresting. Through alot of effort, I was able to procure a grand total of 5 of them. Since these probably won't be made available again, I will probably only enjoy pours of this a few times of year with either good company, or where I'm doing nothing else but savoring the best bourbon on the planet (for my palate anyway). I figure 5 bottles should last me at least 20 years+ with only a few pours per year and aggressive use of 100% argon gas preserver....whaddayathink?
    What happens if you like the 2013 Limited Edition even more?

Disciple

Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    I resist using argon gas because for me that would only promote keeping dozens of 1/6 full bottles. Same goes for decanting samples to save.

Like Rockefeller alluded to, I'm confident there will be plenty of special bottles available in the future and so I just enjoy the ones I have now while I have them.
    Jim

Virtuoso

I have around 40-50 bottles and they're broken down into three general categories - "fair game" "on deck" and "in the collection". First are open or can be open anytime for any reason:

Open bottles
    "affordable" bottles from active distilleries

Second are waiting for a whim, or company who appreciate a good whiskey experience:

Limited Edition bottles from active distilleries (compass box flaming heart, OF Birthday, BTAC, single oak project)
    moderately aged bottles (15-25 year scotch, 4RSB 17 year)
    single cask scotch from independent bottlers

The third are being held for...something. They include things like:

Port Ellen 9th Release 1979 30 Year
    Bowmore 1970 35 Year Sherry Cask
    Glenfarclas 40 Year
    Brora 1981 24 Year
    Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 6
    6-8 or so bottles from 1982, my birth year.

i drank Glenfarclas 30 for my 30th birthday in September. I thought long and hard about whether I could afford the GF40 in 10 years of whisky bubble build and decided to grab one now, so that's on hold. Maybe the bowmore for 35? The PE for a first child? No hard plan, but the whisky is far more valuable than what I should (read: can) afford, and I like knowing that it's there and I can have it whenever an event that feels appropriate occurs.
    Last edited by Yeti; 12-12-2012 at 15:44.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The third are being held for...something. They include things like:

Glenfarclas 40 Year
    Brora 1981 24 Year
    Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 6
    Coincidentally, I've opened one of each of these in the last two weeks (except the Brora is 1982, I think, a Connoisseur's Choice). They are all good, but if you build them up too much it's sure to be a disappointment when you finally get around to taking the first sip. I can tell you this, none of them are that magical.

I think everyone should crack open one of their precious bottles right now, take a sip, and post a picture. Unless, you know, you're worried about the resale value.

photo.JPG

Guru

I don't have a threshold for opening a "special bottle" but I do have a few that I have yet to open.

I waited more than 3 months before I opened my a CGL WT12, and over a year before opening my 1st PVW 15. Mostly because I didn't feel that I was ready to open it.

Will

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I think everyone should crack open one of their precious bottles right now, take a sip, and post a picture. Unless, you know, you're worried about the resale value.
    cool idea.

this could get good.

mine will have to wait but I'll post one this evening.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Special Reserve View Post
    ... Mostly because I didn't feel that I was ready to open it.
    I've felt this way myself. I have a bunch of mid shelf stuff and I've felt like I'm not ready or worthy of the better stuff yet or if I break into my better stuff I might spoil my everyday pours.

However, as I've tasted my better bottles I've come to realize it only enhances my palate and increases my ability to appreciate all my bottles and to better pick what I want to taste at any given time.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    Coincidentally, I've opened one of each of these in the last two weeks (except the Brora is 1982, I think, a Connoisseur's Choice). They are all good, but if you build them up too much it's sure to be a disappointment when you finally get around to taking the first sip. I can tell you this, none of them are that magical.

photo.JPG
    That certainly does look a delicious dram of Balvenie. The Brora is actually a Signatory Cask Strength Collection, as is the Bowmore 1970. I appreciate the perspective, and I definitely know that it's just whisky, whether expensive and rare or not. But with that said, I'm someone who tends to like things more than dislike them, and while there won't be a eureka moment, I will thoroughly enjoy and appreciate them all in due time.

I'm also not wanting for anything to drink. I try to buy in threes when I purchase from specialty stores in either a 2-to-drink, 1-to-keep, or vice-versa approach. And I make plenty of local drink-immediately purchases, so I'm very happy to keep certain bottles sealed an untouched for now. There comes a time for all things.