Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Threshold for Cracking Open A Special Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I have no problem drinking, that's for sure. I like to move away from the top shelf once I no longer remember whats in the glass anyway.
    Now there is a great rule!

Virtuoso

I haven't started Justified yet, but I have many friends who are enthusiastic about it. If it's worth celebrating with a VWFRR then perhaps it's my kind of show as well!

Another specific bottle I have set aside for next year is a 1963 Cambus Single Grain 48 Year that I'm planning to open for my birthday next year, when it will be 50 years "old", and then to also have a drink on the anniversary of Kennedy's death, and then again at New Year's Eve.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    How do you like that ArteNOM 1146 Anejo?
    Funny enough and a bit on topic I haven't opened that bottle yet. But I've had it before and it's excellent, as is the entire line. My favorite of that line, and perhaps my favorite tequila, is still the 1414 reposado.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Not my most special bottle, but it's a start.
    BMH 16yr
    Attachment 14546
    That's a beautiful sight. How is that one? I've only seen it at a bar here for $30 a pour!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    That's a beautiful sight. How is that one? I've only seen it at a bar here for $30 a pour!
    Yeah I saw one and hesitated a few days but went back for it figuring I'd likely not see another on a shelf.

I like it. Lot of wood on this 16yr, maybe too much for some, but it's right up my alley. Tastes like you expect an older bourbon to taste. For better and worse.

Before she knew I had already poured anything my gf turned to me and said she wanted to drink "something brown" then realized she was smelling this whiskey from across the room. She took one sip and really liked it. She asked me why she likes it so much, I was just like "it's really tannic with lots of oak and tabacco and heat". She was like, "Yep, that's it." ...lucky me
    Last edited by RVTsteve; 12-13-2012 at 10:20.

Taster

As a general rule I don't wait for special occassions to open "special" bottles, you or the bottle might not make it that long. For me, opening a "special" bottle is what makes the moment special. As long as I have friends around to share it with and who will enjoy it, there is no time like the present.

~SW

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    As a general rule I don't wait for special occassions to open "special" bottles, you or the bottle might not make it that long. For me, opening a "special" bottle is what makes the moment special. As long as I have friends around to share it with and who will enjoy it, there is no time like the present.

~SW
    For me this says it all,a special bottle is best to be shared with others who will truly appreciate the pour for what it is whether it be friends or family.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post

~SW
    Yeah, what he said...

I'm amazed if the bottle makes it out of the store before I open it. I've come to know my retailers, perhaps a little too well. One day about 10AM he says "I've been holding one for ya" Cool, it's the WLW. After payment I said- "hey, you ever try this?" peeled off the top and opened it on the spot. yummmm. tasty stuff we both agreed. This has happened more times than I care to admit, and not with just that one store... It does give me a leg up for the new arrivals
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RWBadley View Post
    Yeah, what he said...

I'm amazed if the bottle makes it out of the store before I open it. I've come to know my retailers, perhaps a little too well. One day about 10AM he says "I've been holding one for ya" Cool, it's the WLW. After payment I said- "hey, you ever try this?" peeled off the top and opened it on the spot. yummmm. tasty stuff we both agreed. This has happened more times than I care to admit, and not with just that one store... It does give me a leg up for the new arrivals
    Been there, done that! Heck, I have even brought a bottle from one store to another to try to convince them to carry something and make it closer to home for me!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum